Bombs Fall on Oregon: Japanese Attacks on the State
A diagram of balloon bomb parts:
1. The balloon:
Diameter - 33 1/2 feet; volume - approx. 19,000 cubic feet; material -
paraffin treated paper.
2. Rubber shock cord or bungee.
3. Sketch of incendiary-type bomb found at Medford, Oregon.
4. Japanese 15KG antipersonnel bomb found at Thermopolis, Wyoming.
5. Rope arrangement of skirt section (enlarged).
6. Battery unit of balloon. Includes: metal poles, bakelite plate, aluminum
ring, squib fuse, and aneroid barometer.
7. Release arrangement.
8. Fuse housing bolted beneath the center of the cross-beams.
(Image and description
courtesy Canada's Digital Collections)