Records Management News
Review ESD, School District General Schedule Draft Revisions
The current Educational Service District (ESD) and School District General Records Retention Schedule, OAR 166-400 through 166-415 became effective in 1997. Since that time there have been new educational programs and areas of responsibilities added by the Legislative Assembly and the Oregon Department of Education. Using a team of representatives from schools, school districts and ESDs, an update to the retention schedule has been drafted. The purpose of the current project is to ensure that all of the records that you create are identified, described and have an appropriate retention period assigned to them.
Two drafts of the proposed records retention schedule are available for review:
- A master draft shows all changes made to the schedule including deletions and additions.
- A clean draft shows the proposed retention schedule as it will appear when finalized.
If you would like a hard copy of the draft schedule you can contact me and I will mail one to you.
Several records series have been relocated to the section which best defines their content. A new section, School Administration, has been added. All additions made to the existing schedule appear in red (additions) and deletions are indicated by a strikethrough (deletions). When reviewing this schedule please keep in mind the following:
- Retention periods apply to the content of the information and not the medium (paper, electronic, etc.) the information is retained on.
- Do the retention periods listed in this schedule support your administrative, financial, or legal needs? If not, what should we change the retention to and why?
- Are all of the records created by your district represented in this schedule? If not, what are we missing.
Please have all comments to me by 5 p.m. on March 17, 2006, which is the administrative rule hearing date. All comments received by that date will be considered.
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any question or concerns you may have.
Michael Matthews RMA
503.373.0701 ext. 271