OREGON STATE CAPITOL FOUNDATION

 

February 21, 2001                                                                              Hearing Room 350

Tapes 11, 12 

 

 

MEMBERS PRESENT:         Senator Verne Duncan, Chair

                                                Senator Ginny Burdick

Senator Peter Courtney

Representative Diane Rosenbaum

Sandra Allen

Frankie Bell

Frank Brawner

                                                Larry Campbell

Norma Paulus

Norm Smith

Gerry Thompson

Fred VanNatta

Gary Wilhelms           

                                                Herb Colomb, Ex officio

                                               

MEMBERS EXCUSED:      Representative Vic Backlund

Representative Bill Witt

                                                Chet Orloff

                                                Jill Thorne

 

STAFF PRESENT:                 Dave Henderson, Legislative Administration Administrator

                                                Debbie Miller, Legislative Administration Project Coordinator

Patrick Brennan, Committee Assistant

 

FACILITATOR:                    Alison Kelley, JD, Conflict Management Strategies, LLC

 

WITNESSES:                          Glenda Nabors, The Event Company

 

 

MEASURE/ISSUES HEARD:           Housekeeping Items

                                                Strategic Visioning and Goal Setting

                                                Subcommittee Updates

                                                     -Special Events

                                                     -Fundraising

                                               

These minutes are in compliance with Senate and House Rules.  Only text enclosed in quotation marks reports a speaker’s exact words.  For complete contents, please refer to the tapes.

 

TAPE/#

Speaker

Comments

TAPE 11, A

003

Brawner

Calls the meeting to order at 11:51 a.m.

HOUSEKEEPING ITEMS

010

Dave Henderson

Reports that there is no update on Legislative Administration Committee. No appointments have been made due to other priorities.  Suggests that members of the Foundation help urge leadership to make LAC appointments. 

0024

Brawner

Reviews the meeting agenda.

035

Paulus

First issue is whether e-mail is an appropriate and adequate form of communication for the Foundation.

039

Smith

Suggests that FAX would be better than the Listserv.  Still need the ability to communicate between members.

051

Brawner

States it is sometimes difficult to get to e-mail.

055

Bell

States that both FAX and e-mail should be used for those who need it.

064

Wilhelms

Suggests that there be some way to confirm whether each person receives their messages.

068

Miller

Can do that already with e-mail transmission.

086

Debbie

Indicates that stationery has been received and is ready for use.  Offers to provide copies to members for correspondence.

093

Paulus

Asks whether members have reviewed the proposed meeting dates.  Lists three possible dates in April for the next scheduled meeting. 

103

Campbell

Suggests that a date be chosen and stuck with.

111

Allen

Suggests that it might be better to set a date a few weeks before the meeting to get a better idea of each person’s schedule.

121

Smith

Reiterates that meetings should be held only when there is a real need to meet as a group face-to-face. 

133

Paulus

Suggests having a meeting two weeks before the event will be helpful because it will allow reaction to how things are progressing by that point.

 

 

Discussion of exact date to meet.  Thursday, April 12, 10:45 a.m., is preferable to most.

171

Paulus

Asks about the possibility of holding meetings during the summer, perhaps on the Oregon Coast.  Offers to host the meetings at her home out there.

180

Smith

Reminds about needing to meet four times/year, this being the second meeting of the year.

186

Campbell

Reiterates a desire to meet only when necessary.  Suggests that the decision be made at the April meeting.

196

Bell

States that Foundation may need to arrange another fundraising event.

 

STRATEGIC VISIONING AND GOAL SETTING

204

Alison Kelley,

Conflict Management Strategies

Refers to the notebook section that contains the revised draft mission statement (EXHIBIT A) and the model draft strategic plan (EXHIBIT B).  Says the point of the plan is to produce a guideline that facilitates the actions of the group.

259

Duncan

Mentions that SB 489 was scheduled to be up for third reading today but was moved to tomorrow’s calendar. 

264

Kelley

Provides an overhead presentation.  Feedback has been incorporated into the mission statement.  Indicates that the proposed changes will be voted on.

294

Kelley

Describes the first changes to the mission statement. Members discuss.

310

Members

Members discuss changes to mission statement.

353

 

Campbell leaves.

377

Members

Discussion on mission statement continues.

 

 

 

TAPE 12, A

010

Members

Discussion on mission statement continues.

057

Kelley

Reads the statement thus far adopted.

064

Members

Further discussion of mission statement.

080

Kelley

Clarifies and reads the proposed language.

125

Wilhelms

States he does not like the proposed language, as it seems to be broadening the scope of the foundation.

134

Smith

Suggests that a document be prepared, then see if there is consensus.

141

Burdick

Asks about statement “celebrating the people who contributed to Oregon’s government.”

145

Colomb

States that “government” does not need to be in there.

153

Duncan

Reminds the group that the Foundation seeks to preserve the integrity of the Capitol.

161

Colomb

Reminds the group that the three main Capitol monuments have little or nothing to do with the government of Oregon, but rather with the state’s heritage and history.

165

Brawner

Comments that none of the people who voted on statehood were Oregonians, as there was no State of Oregon yet.  May be making it broader, but if it entices more people to donate to the Foundation so be it.

180

Duncan

Need to consider who the “we” is that is being discussed.

187

Kelley

Suggests language.

191

Brawner

How about contributed to Oregon government.

195

Kelley

Reads the language that has thus far been developed. 

204

Smith

Remarks that the rest after the first phrase is window dressing.

208

Brawner

Comments that it is important window dressing

210

Wilhelms

Mentions that there is nothing in there about the enhancement of the building, which is the primary purpose of the group.

216

Brawner

Concurs.

227

Orloff

Suggests language “to recognize the contributions of Oregonians to their state government.” 

247

Duncan

Expresses concern that the phrase “historical integrity” could be problematic in the future if it is interpreted to require adhering to the guidelines of the architect. Says there are times when something different might be desired.

267

Burdick

Asks about “provides for the enhancement of … with historical integrity for the benefit of all Oregonians.”

277

Paulus

Indicates that the original plan has already been abandoned with the addition of the wings and other changes. Have not kept faith with the original architectural plan anyway.

294

Kelley

Comments that group is further away from consensus.

298

Paulus

Suggests language for the entire mission statement. Says that “to preserve and enhance” allows for some leeway to make substantive changes to the Capitol.

314

Kelley

Reads the proposed language.

318

Brawner

Reiterates that it is being limited to those who have worked in the Capitol.

323

Colomb

Suggests deleting “that has occurred in the Capitol.”

338

Smith

Says it is not important so long as it is contributions made to Oregon.

350

Kelley

Suggests giving the mission statement back to the Strategic Planning Subcommittee for further work.

360

Brawner

Asks whether we can use the existing language in the meantime.

370

Smith

Recommends that a FAX vote be taken to use this as a draft mission statement.

388

Kelley

Refers to the model draft strategic planning process in members’ notebooks.  Says the group needs to deal with the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats, then look at the plan and add to it to provide a working document for 2002 planning.

415

Smith

Proposes that the Strategic Planning Subcommittee could consider the things that can be added at the appropriate time, so as to achieve closure on Kelley's portion of the work.

TAPE 11, B

 

 

Members discussion model draft strategic plan for the rest of the meeting.

025

Members

Internal strengths of the Foundation are: committed members, political clout, genuine interest, technical expertise, and corporate history. External strengths are: public support, incorporating into school curricula/educational value, great building, city’s support regarding zoning control, statewide sense of history, and tourism industry support.

057

Members

Internal weaknesses are: geography, money, time intensive, tunnel vision, some members who do not participate, need for an executive committee and better communication. External weaknesses are: low public awareness of Foundation, criticism of giving money to government-related organization, competition for donation money, lack of understanding of how Capitol maintenance is funded, and general suspicion of government.

102

Members

Foundation goals for next 3-5 years include: substantive products, respectable bank balance, greater public engagement with the Capitol, greater visibility, enhanced public pride, Capitol as a forum for celebrating Oregon history, high public acceptance of Foundation’s activities, sense among public that it is their building, institutional memory preservation, positive governmental icon, and education resource.

160

Paulus

Asks what the objections of the mission statement are.

161

Members

Comments and discussion regarding mission statement.

226

Kelley

Reads the newest draft.

230

Wilhelms

Suggests deleting “adjacent areas.”

231

Kelley

States language is from statute.

233

Paulus

Comments that it is then unnecessary.

235

Kelley

Reads revised mission statement.

 

 

Discussion continues

298

Kelley

Rereads it.

305

Wilhelms

Indicates he will vote yes, but the building part is still missing.

312

Colomb

Asks what else will be done for Capitol besides preserving and enhancing.

318

Wilhelms

Comments that things like purchasing marble benches is preserving and enhancing historical integrity.

335

Kelley

Suggests deletion of the word “historical.”

340

Paulus

Disagrees.

345

Paulus

MOTION:  Moves to adopt the revised mission statement.

350

Paulus

VOTE: 11-0 (Duncan, Burdick, Courtney, Allen, Bell, Brawner, Orloff, Smith, Paulus, Wilhelms.)

 

FUNDRAISING SUBCOMMITTEE UPDATE

360

Brawner

Reviews the fundraising levels of recognition for donors. Suggests using symbols from the Capitol.

404

Wilhelms

Suggests “Empire Builder.”

406

Smith

Agrees.

410

Brawner

Further discussion.

420

Brawner

CORPORATE, FOUNDATION, GOVERNMENT SUPPORT

($10,000 & Above) Platinum

($5,000 - $9,999) Gold

($2,000 - $4,999) Silver

($1,000 - $1,999) Bronze

($100 - $999) Friend of the Capitol

INDIVIDUAL SUPPORT

($,1,000 and above) Golden Pioneer

($500 - $999) Pioneer

($250 - $499) Circuit Rider

($150 - $249) Empire Builder

($25 - $149) Friend of the Capitol

TAPE 12, B

012

Smith

States there is no real difference between pioneer and golden pioneer.

017

Colomb

Describes possible locations for awards to be mounted.

025

Wilhelms

Expresses doubts about having people’s names on plaques throughout the Capitol.  Suggests that issue be considered further.

035

Brawner

States a need to decide before the event

037

Paulus

Says can do it anytime.

 

 

 

SPECIAL EVENTS SUBCOMMITTEE UPDATE

046

Brawner

Expresses concern as to the state of planning for the event.  Says there is very little public awareness, even within the Capitol.  Says that mandating it as a costume ball may chase some people away.  Costumes should be optional.  Refers to packets for corporate selling that list costumes as optional.

065

Paulus

Asks what the process was by which the auction was called off in favor of the costume ball.

078

Allen

Explains that she took recommendation by staff to her subcommittee members who approved.

083

Glenda Nabors, The Event Company

Explains that capacities of the Rotunda were discovered to be too limited for an auction to take place. 

100

Paulus

Asserts that such decisions cannot be made unilaterally. Stated auction could have been accommodated in the Rotunda area and Galleria, just as many other activities are.  Such decisions should be made only via a Foundation meeting, electronic or otherwise.

112

Allen

Says the decision was made by the subcommittee. E-mail notification was apparently inadequate. 

121

Brawner

Asks if an auction will happen.

123

Allen

States that it will. The auction was just postponed. If any items have been acquired, they can be saved for later or could raffle off at the Cotillion. 

129

Paulus

States that most who attend will be from the Capitol anyway.

133

Brawner

Reiterates that costumes will chase some away.

134

Allen

Can make sure people understand that costumes are optional.

140

Paulus

Costumes must be optional.

144

Bell

Agrees that “optional” should be in all press releases.

150

Brawner

Reviews potential event sponsors/donors: Confederated Tribes of Grande Ronde, State Lottery, Qwest. Says commitments have been received from PGE, Bank of the Cascades, etc. Is concerned that the invitation will not mention sponsor names.

172

Brawner

Agrees invitations need to be printed, but sponsors were told they would be in the invitation and might not be. Asks staff to hold off printing them until sponsors can be contacted. If we don’t, we’re changing the rules.

185

Glenda

States that we can contact the printer and tell them to hold them.

195

Brawner

Asks for time to contact and coordinate.

198

Allen

Comments.

202

Brawner

Further discussion.

214

Miller

States that can hold off awhile longer on invitations.

219

Brawner

Asks what distribution is for invitations.

222

Miller

Responds that postcards were sent to many groups, including legislators, lobbyists, historical and cultural organizations, etc.

 225

Brawner

Comments that no wonder there have been questions.

228

Wilhelms

Asks if there was a search for former members.

232

Miller

Responds that information was obtained from Democratic Caucus Office, past Oregon Blue Books, and old mailing lists. Postcard was sent to a lot of former members.

244

Brawner

Need to get the former members on board, as they will likely be donors.

259

Miller

Apologizes for miscommunication about changes in event. Main purpose of event is a kick-off, a coming-out party to announce the existence of the Foundation. An auction will be planned for the future.

276

Paulus

Asks Wilhelms to arrange to have the resolution passed in time for the event.

290

Wilhelms

States that it is being drafted.

301

Brawner

Asks for suggestions about who should be listed in the packet.

313

Bell

Mentions that a raffle will take place and asks members to solicit items to be raffled off. 

333

Smith

Refers to the Cultural Task Force Report.

340

Miller

Asks members to complete evaluations for Kelley.

358

Paulus

Adjourns the meeting at 1:40 p.m.

 

 

Submitted By,   

 

 

 

 

Patrick Brennan

Committee Assistant

 

 

Reviewed By,

 

 

 

Debbie Miller

Committee Administrator

 

EXHIBIT SUMMARY

 

A – Revised Draft Mission Statement, Alison Kelley, 1p.

B – Model Draft Strategic Plan, Alison Kelley, 3p.