OREGON STATE CAPITOL FOUNDATION

 

June 1, 2001                                                                                      Hearing Room 350

2:00 PM         

 

 

MEMBERS PRESENT:         Senator Verne Duncan, Chair           

                                                Senator Ginny Burdick                                  

Sandra Allen

Frankie Bell

Frank Brawner

Herb Colomb, Ex officio

                                                Chet Orloff (by phone)

                                                Norm Smith (by phone)

                                                Fred VanNatta

                                               

MEMBERS EXCUSED:      Representative Vic Backlund                                               

Senator Peter Courtney

                                                Representative Diane Rosenbaum

Representative Bill Witt

                                                Larry Campbell

                                                Norma Paulus

                                                Jill Thorne

Gary Wilhelms                       

                                               

STAFF PRESENT:                 Dave Henderson, Legislative Administrator

Pam Holt, Committee Assistant

                                                Debbie Miller, Project Coordinator

 

WITNESSES:                          Glenda Nabors, The Event Company

 

GUESTS:                                Pat Egan, Governor’s Staff

 

MEASURE/ISSUES HEARD:            LAC Update

                                                     Subcommittee Reports:             

                                                 -Special Event

                                                 -Fundraising

                                                 -Strategic Planning

                                                     

These minutes are in compliance with Senate and House Rules.  Only text enclosed in quotation marks reports a speakers exact words.  For complete contents, please refer to the tapes.

 

TAPE/#

Speaker

Comments

TAPE MALFUNCTION (NO TAPES FOR MEETING. MINUTES ARE ENTIRELY FROM NOTES.)

 

Chair Duncan

Calls meeting to order at 2:11 p.m.

 

Dave Henderson

States that Leadership has not appointed LAC members. Foundation members whose terms expire on 6/30/01 will serve until re-appointed.

 

Frank Brawner

Stresses importance of getting money before sine die from people who promised to donate. States that he will help.

SPECIAL EVENTS SUBCOMMITTEE REPORT

 

Sandra Allen

Reviews summary report of kick-off event (EXHIBIT A). 

 

Debbie Miller

States that we are waiting for $8,100 that has been promised. The other three marble benches will be ordered as soon as money is received.

 

Brawner

Wants date to be specified when money will be received.

 

Allen

Continues summary review. Event received good publicity. Total revenue is projected to be $36,000. Actual revenue to date is $26,000. Ticket sales totaled $15,000, poster and coin sales were $1,117 and are on-going.  Presentations were well received; performers did well.

 

Allen

Reviews recommendations for future events from summary report.

 

Allen

Reviews revenue and expenses.

 

Chair Duncan

Comments that cost for benches should be taken out of expenses, adding $13,400 to income and more accurately reflecting profit as $19,098.

 

Brawner

Asks question from page 3 of summary report

 

Glenda Nabors

Explains.

 

Brawner

Comments that there were only a few old-timers in attendance.

 

Pat Egan

Comments that there was not enough notification.

 

Allen

Explains.

 

Brawner

States former governors were not in attendance.  Suggests that we should go out of way to invite them and with more advance notice. Should also include former Speakers and Presidents.

 

Frankie Bell

Mentions that she spoke with former governor Barbara Roberts.  States that Lewis & Clark didn’t “gel” with return of former legislators theme. Suggests focusing on  “homecoming” theme next time. Suggests “Holidays at the Capitol” for OSCF project.

 

Members

Discussion continues.

 

Norm Smith

States that original event budget was $25,000. It was a good decision to downscale. Believes everyone deserves credit.

 

Chair Duncan

Leads round of applause.

 

Chet Orloff

Suggests holding an event soon after next election so that  new legislators can get together with current/former legislators. It would be a chance to “pass the baton.”

 

Bell

Mentions “Holidays at the Capitol” as an opportunity for the Foundation.

 

Fred VanNatta

Suggests educational event such as member training.

 

FUNDRAISING SUBCOMMITTEE REPORT

 

Brawner

Distributes copies of  “Phase One Campaign” fundraising proposal. (EXHIBIT B). States that special events are important, but that Foundation should not rely on them for fundraising

 

Chair Duncan

Says that Rep. Betsy Johnson has promised a contribution from the ASS Johnson Foundation.

 

Brawner

Explains fundraising proposal.

 

Bell

Believes that membership should be basis for on-going funds.

 

 

 

STRATEGIC PLANNING SUBCOMMITTEE REPORT

 

Norm Smith

Summarizes May 24 conference call that he, Dave Henderson, and Debbie Miller had with Alison Kelley regarding strategic planning. The Strategic Planning Subcommittee will complete outline plan and present to Foundation members by September 30, 2001.

 

 

 

WHAT’S NEXT?

 

Brawner

Explains “Phase One Campaign” fundraising proposal. Will prepare packets containing information about the Foundation and its projects, assign two Foundation members to each business category, and make personal calls. Teams should personalize letter and packet information and determine level of giving. Team members should select five companies within their category to call on. Goal is to accomplish something by next meeting.  

 

Members

Discussion of potential Foundation projects. Consensus is that maintenance of Capitol is taxpayers’ responsibility. Larry Campbell is interested in seismic upgrade.

 

Bell

Says that matching money could be a good compromise.

 

Herb Colomb

States that Senate and House Chambers need seismic upgrades.

 

Brawner

Asks what group thinks of fundraising plan.

 

Egan

Thinks that Foundation needs a goal.

 

Bell

States that she would like to focus on membership and “Friends” group.

 

Smith

Signs off from meeting.

 

Brawner

Comments on importance of 501(C)3 status.

 

Chair Duncan

Discusses Foundation mission of enhancement, not maintenance.

 

Colomb

Refers to list of potential Foundation projects (EXHIBIT C). Discusses replacing hedges on Court St. side of building. Comments that Oregon Nurserymen might be willing to take on that project. Mentions other projects on list.

 

Chair Duncan

Asks about refurbishing Liberty Bell.

 

Colomb

Explains project.

 

Colomb

Mentions displays in glass cases outside hearing rooms.

 

Chet

Comments that $28,000 is probably a low figure for project and what it will include to pull off. Historical displays fit into Foundation’s mission.

 

Senator Burdick

Leaves meeting.

 

Colomb

Continues with explanation of projects.

 

Brawner

Comments that hearing room display cases could be approved today.

 

Allen

Asks why Gift Shop hasn’t been expanded.

 

Bell

Responds with background about Gift Shop.

 

Colomb

Thinks it is important to focus on projects that enhance the public’s view.

 

Dave Henderson

States that Gift Shop expansion is included in budget option package, but doesn’t know if it will be approved.

 

Members

Continue discussion.

 

Chair Duncan

Comments on how drab wings in old part of building are and that he would like to enhance. Mentions the beauty of Vermont’s Statehouse. 

 

Chair Duncan

Suggests including a beautification clause.

 

Brawner

Asks about possibility of funding an architectural feasibility study for beautification plan of Capitol.

 

Members

ACTION: Recommend adopting all projects on list for total of $300,000.

 

Chair Duncan

Asks about meeting in Grants Pass.

 

Brawner

States that he, Fred VanNatta and Norma Paulus will plan a trip to Grants Pass to look at Debbs Potts’ historical items. Will possibly bring some items back to the Oregon Historical Society.

 

Chair Duncan

Recaps meeting.

 

Debbie Miller

Mentions a possible 3-4 hour meeting in the fall. Suggests meeting away from Capitol, possibly at Norma’s beach house. Looking at November 14th. Would also like to begin a Foundation newsletter.

 

Chair Duncan

Adjourns meeting at 3:20 p.m.

 

 

Submitted By,                                                                           Reviewed By,  

 

 

 

Pam Holt,                                                                                 Debbie Miller, 

Administrative Support                                                 Administrator

 
 
EXHIBIT SUMMARY

 

A - OSCF Kick-off Event Summary Report, Sandra Allen, 8 pp.

B - Phase One Campaign, Frank Brawner, 1 p.

C - Foundation projects, Herb Colomb, 1 p.