Department of Agriculture Records Guide
Agency History - Current Organization
1854 A County Fair is held in the town of Lafayette, Yamhill County.
1861 First State Fair is held near Oregon City.
1894 Law is passed requiring all livestock brands to be registered with county clerks.
1915 Registering of livestock brands moves to the State Veterinarian's authority.
1917 Brands Adjusting Board is formed to settle brand disputes. The first state brand book is published.
1933 A chief bee inspector and deputies are appointed. The Milk Control Board is created (independent of the Department).
1935 The Nursery Inspector at Large is abolished and the Bureau of Nursery Service is established. The Flax and Linen Board is created (independent of the Department). The Oregon Agricultural Marketing Act is passed by the Legislature.
1937 The Seed Production Law is extensively revised and the Soil Conservation Act is enacted.
1938 A Revised District Plan is set up forming 17 agricultural districts. A centralized license bureau is formed within the Administrative Division.
1939 The Market Enforcement Division merges with the Plant Industry Division and the Weights and Measures Division merges with Food and Dairy. The Soil and Conservation Committee is formed (an independent body).
1941 A Horticultural Supervisor office is established. The Oregon Food Act is enacted.
1943 The Milk Control Board's authority is transferred to the Director. The first commodity commission is created (Oregon Dairy Products Commission).
1945 The Pest and Disease Survey and Control Act becomes law.
1947 The Department is authorized to collect taxes from nursery dealers for experimental station in Corvallis. Refrigerator locker plant, insecticide and fungicide, and livestock brand inspection laws are enacted. The Board of Livestock Auction Markets is created. Oregon Wheat Commission is formed.
1949 The Livestock Advisory Committee is formed. The Milk Marketing Administration is placed under authority of the Board of Agriculture. Oregon Potato Commission is formed.
1950 Grain inspection fees are decreased.
1951 The Chemical Control Act and significant amendments to the Apiary Act are legislated. The Oregon State Fair Commission is formed. The Oregon Filbert Commission is established.
1953 The Weather Modification Law and Commodity Commission Act become law. Ragweed removal authority is given to the Department.
1955 The Market Development Division is created. A pilot meat inspection study is undertaken. The Agriculture Building is remodeled and a clerical pool is established. The Oregon Fescue and Creeping Red Fescue Commission is formed.
1956 The Oregon Food Act is significantly amended.
1957 A license and bond requirement is established for hay dealers. Grade A milk usage audit, virus-free nursery stock, and brucellosis eradication projects begin. A third grain inspection branch office opens. The Oregon Fryer Commission is created.
1958 Livestock district boundaries are revamped and clarified.
1959 Inspection of custom and mobile slaughter plants becomes compulsory. The Oregon Beef Council and the Highland Bentgrass Commission are established.
1961 The Director assumed direct supervision over the Grain Inspection and Agricultural Development Divisions and two assistant directors were appointed. One was to supervise the management of Divisions related to consumer and trade services and the other had responsibility for livestock-related Divisions.
1962 The Oregon Orchardgrass Seed Producers Commission is established.
1963 The Otter Trawl Commission of Oregon is established.
1964 The Oregon Hop Commission is created.
1965 The Commodity Commission Act is amended to permit optional method of recruiting members. The Milk Audit and Stabilization Unit becomes a Division. The Oregon Bartlett Pear and Oregon Ryegrass Growers Seed Commissions are established.
1966 The new Agriculture Building is built. The Oregon Processed Prune and Plum Growers Commission is begun.
1967 Three assistant directors positions are established and divide duties between livestock, administrative services, and consumer trade services Divisions. The Oregon Strawberry Commission is formed.
1969 The County Fair Commission is established and a Field Sanitation Committee is created. The Oregon Tall Fescue Commission is established.
1971 The Divisions are reorganized between two assistant directors into programs and administrative services Divisions.
1974 The Oregon Regional Sweet Cherry Commission is created.
1975 A Deputy Director and two assistant directors divide managerial duties between plant and livestock Divisions, agricultural development, and product quality control.
1976 The Oregon Onion Commission is created.
1977 The State Fair Advisory commission is established. The Oregon Dungeness Crab and Sheep Commissions are created.
1978 The Oregon Weed Advisory Committee is established.
1980 The Oregon Rangeland Advisory Commission is formed.
1981 The Soil and Water Conservation Division is established (and later becomes the Natural Resources Division in 1989). The Oregon Caneberry Commission is created and Animal Health and Livestock Identification Divisions merge at about the same time.
1982 The Pesticide Analytical and Response Center Advisory Committee begins.
1984 The Wine Advisory Board, Oregon Salmon Commission, and the Oregon Mint Commission are formed.
1985 The Oregon Processed Vegetable Commission is established.
1986 The Department is organized into 10 Divisions. An amendment is passed allowing seven commodity commissions to elect members.
1993 Senate Bill 1010 on water quality is passed.
1996 Department of Agriculture Building in Salem floods.
1998 Department of Agriculture Building reopens after extensive renovation.