Oregon State Board of Control Records Guide
The Legislative Assembly created the Board of Control in 1913 to coordinate the management of state institutions, construction of state buildings, and other duties assigned by the legislature. The governor, the secretary of state, and the state treasurer sat on the board and were assisted by an executive secretary.
Over its history, the Board of Control served as the governing body for numerous institutions, including the following (located in the Salem area unless otherwise noted):
Columbia Park Hospital and Training Center (The Dalles)
Dammasch State Hospital (Wilsonville)
Eastern Oregon Hospital and Training Center (Pendleton)
Eastern Oregon Tuberculosis Hospital (The Dalles)
Fairview Hospital and Training Center
Hillcrest School of Oregon
MacLaren School for Boys (Woodburn)
Oregon Soldiers Home (Roseburg)
Oregon State Correctional Institution
Oregon State Hospital
Oregon State Penitentiary
Oregon State School for the Blind
Oregon State School for the Deaf
Oregon State Tuberculosis Hospital
State building management
The board oversaw the maintenance and construction of the State Capitol, Capitol Mall area, Portland State Office Building, Public Service Building in Salem, and several other state buildings.
The board also had responsibility for purchasing supplies for all state institutions, boards, and commissions; receiving bequests; financial records for veterans' cemeteries; inventories of all state property; and the collection and disbursement of the State's restoration fund. In the 1960s the Board of Control created the Corrections Division, Mental Health Division, Special Educational Services Division, and Research and Program Evaluation Division.
Board of Control abolished
The board was abolished in 1969. The Legislative Assembly divided its responsibilities between the Department of General Services, Department of Human Resources, Secretary of State’s Office, Governor’s Office, State Treasury, and State Highway Commission.