Oregon State Board of Control Records Guide
Scope and Content Note
The records of the Oregon State Board of Control consist of minutes of meetings, correspondence, research reports, construction records, and related documents.
While the series of minutes and biennial reports are complete (1913-1969), the bulk of the material dates between 1935 when the State Capitol fire destroyed most Board of Control records and 1969 when the board ceased to exist.
The records document much of the board's duties, which consisted of overseeing state institutions and supervising construction of state buildings. The records document the Board of Control's administration of state mental hospitals, prisons, training centers, tuberculosis hospitals, and the blind and deaf schools.
The records also document the supervision of the building and maintenance of the Capitol; the State Public Service Building, Salem; the State Office Building in Portland; and several other institutional and educational buildings. Also included is the correspondence of the Corrections and Mental Health Divisions; flax, lime, and other Oregon State Penitentiary industries; investigations into inmate or patient concerns; Attorney General's opinions; and research and studies into Board of Control institutions and concerns.
The records of the Board of Control were originally accessioned into the Archives between 1955 and 1986 in the following accessions: Inv. 67; 55-8; 56I-17; 57-8; 57-79; 57-112; 58-16; 58-50; 58-77; 59-9; 59-45; 66-1; 66A-55; 69A-68; 70A-15; 70A-60; 70A-83; 70A-B6; 70A-87; 71A-136; 76A-39; 77A-91; 78A-22; 80A-10; 84A-97; and 86A-41. These accessions, originally consisting of over 250 cubic feet of records, have been combined into accession 88A-36.
Maps, plans, and drawings from the original accessions were placed in the Archives NP1P series have not been included in accession 88A-36.