Department of State Lands Records Guide

Image Slide Show - Children Near Madras

Delta On to flooded road and trucks

Children near Madras

Two children stand on land south of Madras that was purchased by a rancher from the state in circa 1950. The rancher then exchanged the land with the Soil Conservation Service for grazing land adjacent to his ranch. The land was originally ceded to the state in 1859 by the Oregon Admissions Act in which the 16th and 36th section of every township was set aside for public school use. (Department of State Lands Records, State Lands Deed and Easement Jackets, Separated Photographs, Box 1, Folder 36)

Delta On to flooded road and trucks

State Archives • 800 Summer St. NE • Salem, OR 97310

Phone: 503-373-0701 • Fax: 503-373-0953 • reference.archives@state.or.us