Bureau of Labor and Industries, Chapter 839
Rule Caption: Public employer requirement to reference veteran special qualifications and transferable skills in job announcements.
Adm. Order No.: BLI 4-2013(Temp)
Filed with Sec. of State: 12-15-2013
Certified to be Effective: 12-16-13 thru 6-1-14
Notice Publication Date:
Rules Amended: 839-006-0450
Subject: The amendment clarifies that public employers must include in a job recruitment announcement any special qualifications and transferable skills required or requested in addition to minimum qualifications for the position, so that veterans applying for the position know to include and address these in their application materials.
Rules Coordinator: Marcia Ohlemiller—(971) 673-0784
Applying the Employment Preference
(1) A public employer shall grant a preference to a veteran or disabled veteran who applies for a vacant civil service position or who seeks promotion to a civil service position with a higher maximum salary rate and who:
(a) Successfully completes an initial application screening or an application examination for the position; or
(b) Successfully completes a civil service test the employer administers to establish eligibility for the position; and
(c) Meets the minimum qualifications and any special qualifications for the position.
(2) At each stage of the application process a public employer will grant a preference to a veteran or disabled veteran who successfully completes an initial application screening or an application examination or a civil service test the public employer administers to establish eligibility for a vacant civil service position.
(3) For an initial application screening used to develop a list of persons for interviews, the public employer will add five preference points to a veteran’s score and ten preference points to a disabled veteran’s score.
(4) For an application examination, given after the initial application screening, that results in a score, the public employer will add five preference points to a veteran’s and ten preference points to a disabled veteran’s total combined examination score without allocating the points to any single feature or part of the examination.
(5) If a public employer uses an application examination that consists of an evaluation method of ranking an applicant that does not result in a score, the public employer will devise and apply methods by which the public employer gives special consideration in the public employer’s hiring decision to veterans and disabled veterans.
(6) When an interview is a component of the selection process for a civil service position or for an eligibility list for a civil service position, a public employer shall interview each veteran:
(a) Whom the public employer determines meets the minimum qualifications and special qualifications for the civil service position or eligibility list; and
(b) Who submits application materials that the public employer determines show sufficient evidence that the veteran has the transferable skills required and requested by the public employer for the civil service position or eligibility list.
(7) Public employers shall include in the job recruitment announcement any special qualifications and transferable skills required or requested for a civil service position in addition to the minimum qualifications of the position.
(8) A public employer is not required to comply with subsection (6) of this rule if the employer’s practice is to generate an eligibility list without conducting interviews of possible candidates.
(9) A public employer may consult with the Oregon Military Department and the Department of Veterans’ Affairs to determine whether certain military education or experience produces a transferable skill. To evaluate a veteran’s transferable skills from a transcript of military training, a public employer may consult the American Council on Education’s website, “A Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services,” at http://www.acenet.edu/news-room/Pages/Military-Guide-Online.aspx
Stat. Auth.: ORS 659A.805
Stats. Implemented: ORS 408.230, 408.235 & 408.237
Hist.: BLI 37-2008, f. 11-6-08, cert. ef. 11-10-08; BLI 8-2010, f. & cert. ef. 2-24-10; BLI 15-2011, f. 12-30-11, cert. ef. 1-1-12; BLI 2-2012, f. & cert. ef. 2-8-12; BLI 4-2013(Temp), f. 12-15-13, cert. ef. 12-16-13 thru 6-1-14
Oregon State Archives • 800 Summer St. NE • Salem, OR 97310