Oregon Health Licensing Agency, Board of Direct Entry Midwifery, Chapter 332
Rule Caption: Align continuing education requirements with law regarding additional hours as a condition for renewal.
Adm. Order No.: DEM 2-2013
Filed with Sec. of State: 12-30-2013
Certified to be Effective: 1-1-14
Notice Publication Date: 11-1-2013
Rules Amended: 332-020-0010, 332-020-0015
Subject: Amend continuing education rule to align with the intent and scope of the law. Require that at the time of renewal a licensed direct entry midwife (LDM) provide the number of births performed during the previous renewal cycle. If that number is fewer than five, then the LDM must obtain 10 additional continuing education hours and attest to those hours on the next renewal cycle. See example below:
The LDM becomes inactive on July 31, 2013 on the renewal the LDM shows that during the previous renewal cycle July 2012 through July 2013 only three births were performed. When the LDM renews the license in 2014 the LDM will be required to attest to having received the additional 10 hours of continuing education.
Align other continuing education rules with current agency standards including specifying national organizations as approved if providing continuing education within the scope of midwifery care. Allow for authorship to be included under self study not to exceed more than half the required hours. Also required the documentation to be maintained by the LDM be consistent with the documentation required for continuing education audits.
Rules Coordinator: Samantha Patnode—(503) 373-1917
(1) To maintain licensure LDM license holder must complete the minimum hours of satisfactory continuing education requirements as follows:
(a) Two years from the date of initial licensure and every two years thereafter:
(A) Thirty clock hours relevant to women’s health, neonatal, fetal or midwifery knowledge or care, ethics, communication, or professional development.
(B) Eight and a half clock hours pertaining to legend drugs and devices that include the components listed under OAR 332-015-0070 with the exception of neonatal resuscitation under 332-015-0070(e), which is required annually upon renewal. The eight and a half hours pertaining to legend drugs and devices must be taught by a MEAC accredited or pre-accredited school, the Oregon Midwifery Council or by an organization authorized by the board to provide continuing education credits specific to legend drugs and devices.
(i) One hour in pharmacology;
(ii) One half hour in administration of medications through injection;
(iii) One hour in advanced treatment of shock;
(iv) Three hours in intravenous therapy; and
(v) Three hours in suturing.
(b) In accordance with ORS 687.425 a licensee who has attended fewer than five births in the previous year is required to take an additional ten hours of continuing education in subjects listed in subsection (1)(a)(A) of this rule during the next annual renewal cycle.
(2) Continuing Education listed in subsection (1)(a)(A) may be obtained through attendance at lectures, sessions, courses, workshops, symposiums seminars or other presentations offered by:
(a) Institutions or programs accredited by a federally recognized accrediting agency;
(b) Institutions or programs approved by an agency within the Oregon Higher Education Coordinating Commission;
(c) An organization offering continuing medical education opportunities, including Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education;
(d) Any additional board approved professional organization, or association, hospital, or health care clinic offering continuing education related to subject matter listed in (1)(a)(A) of this rule.
(3) Continuing education relating to subject matter listed in subsection (1)(a)(A) of this rule may also be obtained through research, authorship or teaching, provided that no more than half the required hours be in teaching.
(4) Up to nine clock hours of continuing education relating to subject matter listed in subsection (1)(a)(A) of this rule may be completed through self study. Documentation substantiating the completion of continuing education through self-study must be submitted on forms provided by the agency and must include the following:
(a) Name of sponsor or source, type of study, description of content, date of completion, and duration in hours in accordance with subsection (8) of this rule;
(b) Name of approved correspondence courses or national home study issues;
(c) Name of publications, textbooks, printed material or audiocassette’s, including date of publication, publisher, and ISBN identifier; and
(d) Name of films, videos, or slides, including date of production, name of sponsor or producer and catalog number.
(5) Obtaining and maintaining proof of participation in continuing education is the responsibility of the licensee. The licensee must ensure that adequate proof of attainment of required continuing education is available for audit or investigation or when otherwise requested by the agency. Adequate proof of participation is listed under OAR 332-020-0015(3).
(6) Documentation of participation in continuing education requirements must be maintained for a period of two years following renewal, and must be available to the agency upon request.
(7) Hours of continuing education that are obtained in excess of the minimum requirements listed in this rule will not be carried forward as credit for the subsequent license renewal reporting cycle.
(8) For the purpose of this rule continuing education must include periods of continuous instruction and education, not to include breaks, rest periods, travel registration or meals.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 676.615, 687.425 & 687.485
Stats. Implemented: ORS 676.615, 687.425 & 687.485
Hist.: DEM 1-1993(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 12-22-93; DEM 1-1994, f. & cert. ef. 6-15-94; DEM 1-2001(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 10-1-01 thru 3-29-02; DEM 1-2002, f. 2-25-02 cert. ef. 3-1-02; DEM 1-2004, f. 6-29-04, cert. ef. 7-1-04; DEM 2-2008(Temp), f. 9-15-08 cert. ef. 10-1-08 thru 3-30-09; DEM 1-2009, f. 3-31-09, cert. ef. 4-1-09; DEM 5-2010, f. 12-30-10, cert. ef. 1-1-11; DEM 1-2013(Temp), f. 7-10-13, cert. ef. 7-12-13 thru 1-8-14; DEM 2-2013, f. 12-30-13, cert. ef. 1-1-14
Continuing Education: Audit, Required Documentation and Sanctions
(1) The Agency will audit a select percentage of licenses to verify compliance with continuing education requirements.
(2) Licensees notified of selection for audit of continuing education attestation must submit to the agency, within 30 calendar days from the date of issuance of the notification, satisfactory evidence of participation in required continuing education in accordance with OAR 332-020-0010.
(3) Evidence of successful completion of the required continuing education must include the following:
(a) Name of continuing education sponsor/provider;
(b) Course agenda — including the date of the training and breakdown of hours for each agenda item, lunch and breaks;
(c) Course outline — including a detailed summary of each topic discussed and the learning objective or training goal of each agenda item; The content of the course must have a direct relationship between the course training and subject matter related to Direct Entry Midwifery, as outlined in OAR 332-020-0010;
(d) Background resume of speakers or instructors; and
(e) Documentation of attendance or successful course completion. Examples include a certificate, transcript, sponsor statement or affidavit attesting to attendance, diploma.
(4) If documentation of continuing education is invalid or incomplete, the licensee has 30 calendar days from the date of the deficiency notice to correct the deficiency and submit further documentation to substantiate having completed the required continuing education.
(5) Misrepresentations of continuing education or failure to complete continuing education requirements may result in disciplinary action, which may include but is not limited to assessment of a civil penalty and suspension or revocation of the license.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 687.425 & 687.485
Stats. Implemented: ORS 687.425 & 687.485
Hist.: DEM 1-2002, f. 2-25-02 cert. ef. 3-1-02; DEM 1-2004, f. 6-29-04, cert. ef. 7-1-04; DEM 5-2010, f. 12-30-10, cert. ef. 1-1-11; DEM 2-2013, f. 12-30-13, cert. ef. 1-1-14
Oregon Secretary of State • 136 State Capitol • Salem, OR 97310-0722
Phone: (503) 986-1523 • Fax: (503) 986-1616 • email@example.com
© 2013 State of Oregon All Rights Reserved