Board of Licensed Professional Counselors and Therapists, Chapter 833
Rule Caption: Distance supervision of registered interns
Adm. Order No.: BLPCT 2-2013
Filed with Sec. of State: 8-7-2013
Certified to be Effective: 8-15-13
Notice Publication Date: 7-1-2013
Rules Amended: 833-050-0081
Subject: Changes distance supervision requirements for registered interns; changes the role of the supervisor.
Rules Coordinator: Becky Eklund—(503) 378-5499, ext. 3
(1) Supervision of direct client contact must take place within the same calendar month as the completed direct client contact hours.
(2) Supervision meetings must take place at least twice per month, and in different weeks.
(3) Supervision meetings must be no less than one hour, defined as no less than 50 minutes.
(4) Supervision each month must total at least:
(a) Two (2) hours for months in which 45 or fewer hours of direct client contact are completed; or
(b) Three (3) hours for months in which 46 or more hours of direct client contact are completed.
(5) In addition to all other reporting requirements, during the first three months of supervision:
(a) At least 25% of the reported monthly supervision hours must be conducted in a professional setting, and in person.
(b) Up to 75% of the reported monthly supervision hours may be conducted through confidential electronic communications.
(6) For the remaining required supervision hours:
(a) At least 25% of the remaining reported supervision hours must be conducted in a professional setting and in person;
(b) Up to 75% of the remaining reported supervision hours may be conducted through confidential electronic communications.
(7) At least 50% of the required number of monthly supervision hours must be individual supervision 1-to-1.
(8) Group supervision must meet the following requirements at each meeting.
(a) Include no more than six (6) supervisees;
(b) Have leadership that does not shift from one supervisor to another; and
(c) Not be a staff or team meeting, intensive training seminar, discussion group, consultation session, or quality assurance or review group.
(9) If in any month an intern does not receive the minimum supervision hours required, no client contact hours would be credited for that month.
(10) Interns must take steps to ensure consistency in supervision throughout the internship. The intern must request approval from the Board to change supervisors more than three times during the internship and provide steps taken to ensure consistency when changing supervisors.
(11) An approved plan for a single practice, such as private practice or employment by one agency offering services at one or more sites, may have no more than two supervisors at any given time.
(12) The supervisor must:
(a) Review and evaluate appropriateness of client population and caseload, individual charts, case records, and methodologies for keeping client confidentiality; and
(b) Recommend that the intern to refer clients to other therapists when client needs are outside the intern’s scope of practice; and
(13) The supervisor of interns, at the time of supervision must:
(a) Be someone other than a spouse or relative by blood or marriage or a person with whom the intern has or had a personal relationship; and
(b) Meet registered intern supervisor qualifications as required in OAR chapter 833, division 130.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 675.785 - 675.835 & 676.160 - 676.180
Stats. Implemented: ORS 675.785 - 675.835
Hist.: BLPCT 1-2010, f. & cert. ef. 1-5-10; BLPCT 3-2010, f. 4-30-10, cert. ef. 5-3-10; BLPCT 5-2010, f. 6-15-10, cert. ef. 7-1-10; BLPCT 6-2010, f. 12-13-10, cert. ef. 1-1-11; BLPCT 2-2013, f. 8-7-13, cert. ef. 8-15-13
Oregon State Archives • 800 Summer St. NE • Salem, OR 97310