Department of Agriculture, Chapter 603
Rule Caption: Harmonizes Oregon’s hop disease quarantine with Washington’s and adds civil penalties for quarantine violations.
Adm. Order No.: DOA 10-2013
Filed with Sec. of State: 10-10-2013
Certified to be Effective: 10-10-13
Notice Publication Date: 9-1-2013
Rules Amended: 603-052-1020
Subject: Harmonizes Oregon’s hop disease quarantine with Washington’s and adds civil penalties for quarantine violations.
Rules Coordinator: Sue Gooch—(503) 986-4583
Quarantine Against Powdery Mildew of Hops
(1) Establishing Quarantine: A quarantine is established against the powdery mildew disease of hops caused by the fungus Podosphaera macularis (Wallr.) U. Braun & S. Takam. (= Sphaerotheca humuli (DC.) Burr. and Podosphaera humuli (DC) Burrill), arabis mosaic viruses, hop stunt viroid, ilarviruses, and Verticillium wilt caused by hop strains of Verticillium albo-atrum.
(2) Area under Quarantine: All states and districts of the United States, except those counties in the states of Washington and Idaho covered by a comparable quarantine.
(3) Commodities Covered: Plants and all plant parts of hops, Humulus lupulus, excepting kiln dried cones of hops are prohibited entry into this state directly, indirectly, diverted or reconsigned. All used hop farming equipment entering the state from the area under quarantine (see Section (2)) must be pressure-washed or similarly cleaned to remove all plant debris and soil prior to entry.
(4) Conditions: Covered commodities from the area under quarantine are prohibited.
(5) Special Permits: Persons wishing to import covered commodities from the area under quarantine must apply in writing for a Special Permit as authorized by OAR 603-052-0020. Applications for Special Permits must list the prospective buyer and seller; the number, and origin of stock; location of proposed planting site; and any other relevant information. Special Permits, when granted, will list required safeguards to prevent disease establishment.
(6) Disposition of Commodities in Violation of the Quarantine: All covered commodities described in section (3) of this rule found to be in violation of this quarantine shall be returned immediately to point of origin by the Oregon receiver, or at the receiver’s option be destroyed under the supervision of the Oregon Department of Agriculture without expense to or indemnity paid by the Oregon Department of Agriculture. Violation of this quarantine may result in a fine, if convicted, of not less than $500 no more than $5,000, as provided by ORS 561.990. In addition, violators may be subject to civil penalties of up to $10,000 as provided by 561.995.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 561 & 570.305
Stats. Implemented: ORS 561.190, 561.510 - 561.600 & 570.305
Hist.: AD 7-1993(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 5-26-93; AD 20-1993, f. & cert. ef. 12-14-93; AD 10-1996, f. & cert. ef. 9-5-96; DOA 4-1998, f. & cert. ef. 5-11-98; DOA 12-1999, f. & cert. ef. 6-4-99; DOA 4-2009, f. & cert. ef. 4-9-09; DOA 17-2012, f. & cert. ef. 6-6-12; DOA 10-2013, f. & cert. ef. 10-10-13
Oregon Secretary of State • 136 State Capitol • Salem, OR 97310-0722
Phone: (503) 986-1523 • Fax: (503) 986-1616 • email@example.com
© 2013 State of Oregon All Rights Reserved