For the purposes of division 70, the following definitions apply except as otherwise specifically provided in OAR chapter 177 or unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) “Drawing” means the procedure whereby the Lottery, or a drawing agent, selects the winning combination in accordance with the rules of the game.
(2) “Drawing agent” means a Lottery vendor or other designee who, subject to the approval of the Director, is designated by the Assistant Director of Security to conduct drawings on behalf of the Lottery.
(3) “Draw game” means a lottery game, other than Video LotterySM games, in which through a Draw game terminal, the player or the Draw game terminal selects a combination of numbers, events or symbols, the player selects the type of game and amount of play, and the drawing date(s), or the player purchases a Lottery Raffle ticket. Draw games are those Lottery games specified in OAR 177-010-0003(24)(b) through (m) and any other Lottery game designated by the Lottery Commission as a Draw game. Unless the context or a specially applicable definition indicates otherwise, any reference to an “On Line game” in OAR chapter 177, a Lottery retailer contract, or Lottery form in effect or in use on or after the effective date of this rule shall be deemed to refer to a “Draw game” as defined in this section.
(4) “Draw game retailer” means a person or business authorized by the Lottery to sell Draw game tickets.
(5) “Draw game terminal (DGT)” means the computer hardware by which:
(a) A Draw game retailer or player enters the combination of numbers, events, or symbols selected by the player, or
(b) A combination of numbers, events, or symbols is randomly selected for the player, or
(c) A Lottery Raffle ticket is issued; and
(d) Draw game tickets are generated and claims are validated.
(6) “Draw game ticket” means a computer-generated ticket issued by a Draw game terminal to a player as a receipt for the combination a player or the terminal has selected, or a Lottery Raffle ticket. This ticket is the only acceptable evidence of the combination of numbers, events, or symbols selected, or of the unique sequential numbers on a Lottery Raffle game ticket.
(7) “Play slip” means a card used in selecting and marking a player’s game plays which may then be inserted into a terminal’s play slip reader.
(8) “Validation” means the process of determining whether a Draw game ticket presented for payment is a winning ticket.
(9) “Winning combination” means the one or more numbers or symbols randomly selected by the Lottery in a drawing.
Stat. Auth.: OR Const. Art. XV, Sec.
Stats. Implemented: ORS 461.010
Hist.: SLC 11-1985(Temp), f. & ef. 10-24-85; SLC 5-1986, f. & ef. 3-5-86; LC 3-1992, f. & cert. ef. 4-27-92; LC 6-1993, f. & cert. ef. 7-2-93; LOTT 15-2002(Temp), f. 9-6-02, cert. ef. 9-9-02 thru 3-6-03; LOTT 26-2002, f. & cert. ef. 11-25-02; LOTT 6-2009, f. 9-28-09, cert. ef. 10-1-09; LOTT 6-2010, f. 3-18-10, cert. ef. 3-21-10; LOTT 1-2013(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 2-1-13 thru 7-27-13; LOTT 2-2013, f. 6-24-13, cert. ef. 7-1-13
Draw Game Results
(1) General: As a convenience to Lottery players and the public, the Lottery may publicize Draw game results in any manner the Director determines is appropriate.
(2) Disclaimer: Draw game results which are publicized for the convenience of Lottery players and the public are not the official results of a drawing and will not be used to determine a winning ticket. A Draw game ticket is not a winning ticket until it is presented to the Lottery or to a Lottery retailer and is validated as a winning ticket through the Lottery’s central computer system in accordance with the provisions of OAR Chapter 177.
Stat. Auth.: ORS
461, OR Const. Art. XV, Sec. 4(4)
Stats. Implemented: ORS 461.300, 461.200
Hist.: LOTT 4-2011, f. 8-23-11, cert. ef. 9-1-11
Payment of Prizes
(1) Prizes of $600 or Less: To claim a Draw game prize of $600 or less, the claimant may present the winning Draw game ticket to any Draw game retailer, a Lottery kiosk, or to the Lottery Headquarters in Salem, Oregon:
(a) Retailer Payment: If the claim is presented to a Draw game retailer, the retailer shall validate the claim and, if determined to be a winning ticket, shall make payment of the amount due the claimant during the prize redemption hours agreed upon between the retailer and the Lottery. The retailer may pay prizes in cash or check, or any combination thereof. If the retailer cannot validate the claim, the claimant may obtain and complete a claim form and submit it with the disputed ticket to the Lottery by mail or in person.
(b) Lottery Payment: The claimant may submit a winning ticket, either by mail or in person to the Lottery for payment at the addresses listed in section (2)(a) below or to a Lottery kiosk. Upon validation that the ticket is a winning ticket under OAR 177-070-0035, the Lottery shall pay the amount of the prize to the claimant. Payment may be made by check, cash card, or in cash, or any combination thereof. If the ticket is determined to be invalid or a non-winning ticket, or the claim is invalid, the claim shall be denied and the claimant notified.
(A) Lottery Headquarters: Cash prize payments are limited to $50 per person per day. Any prize payment balance remaining above $50 shall be paid by check. Payment may be made in person or by mail, except that the Lottery will not mail cash.
(B) Lottery Kiosk: Cash prize payments made at Lottery kiosks are limited to $100 per transaction. Any prize payment balance remaining above $100 shall be paid by cash card.
(2) Prizes Greater than $600:
(a) Winner Claim Form: To claim a Draw game prize of more than $600, the claimant shall obtain and complete a “Winner Claim Form.” The claimant may submit the Winner Claim Form with the winning ticket in person to Lottery Headquarters, Player Services Office, 500 Airport Road SE, Salem, Oregon. A claimant may mail a winning ticket and Winner Claim Form to the Lottery Headquarters, P.O. Box 14515, Salem, Oregon 97309 (registered mail recommended).
(b) Prize Payment: Upon validation of a winning ticket, the Lottery shall present or mail a check to the claimant in payment of the amount due, less any applicable tax withholding. The amount due shall be calculated according to the rules adopted for the particular Draw game. If the ticket is determined to be a non-winning ticket or invalid, the claim shall be denied and the claimant notified. Non-winning or invalid tickets will not be returned to the claimant.
(c) Prize Payment of Lost, Damaged, or Destroyed Tickets:
(A) When a prize payment is authorized by the Director under OAR 177-070-0035(4), the prize payment shall be validated through the Lottery’s central computer system on the last day of the eligible prize claim period. If the prize claim period expires on a day when the Oregon Lottery Headquarters is not open to the general public, such as a weekend, Lottery holiday, or furlough closure day, the claim period shall be extended until 5:00 p.m. on the next day the Oregon Lottery Headquarters is open to the general public. Following validation, the Lottery shall issue the prize payment in the usual course of Lottery business.
(B) Prize payments made under this subsection shall be restricted to the prize amount under the prize structure for the Draw game in which the ticket was purchased.
(3) Last Date to Claim a Prize: The last date to claim a prize is one calendar year from the date the drawing results become official and final, unless the Lottery Commission defines a shorter time period to claim a prize in a particular Draw game. A prize must be claimed by 5:00 p.m. on the last date to claim a prize and if not claimed by that date is an unclaimed prize. If the final date of the claim period falls on a day when the Oregon Lottery Headquarters is not open to the general public, such as a weekend, Lottery holiday, or furlough closure day, the claim period shall be extended until 5:00 p.m. on the next day the Oregon Lottery Headquarters is open to the general public.
Stat. Auth.: OR Const. Art. XV, Sec. 4(4)
Stats. Implemented: ORS 461.260
Hist.: SLC 11-1985(Temp), f. & ef. 10-24-85; SLC 5-1986, f. & ef. 3-5-86; LC 20-1987, f. 10-26-87, ef. 11-2-87; LC 4-1990, f. & cert. ef. 4-3-90; LC 6-1993, f. & cert. ef. 7-2-93; LC 4-1995, f. 4-27-95, cert. ef. 5-1-95; LC 7-1995, f. & cert. ef. 7-7-95; LOTT 4-2000(Temp), f. 6-15-00, cert. ef. 6-15-00 thru 12-12-00; LOTT 7-2000, f. & cert. ef. 10-4-00; LOTT 15-2002(Temp), f. 9-6-02, cert. ef. 9-9-02 thru 3-6-03; LOTT 26-2002, f. & cert. ef. 11-25-02; LOTT 10-2005(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 11-2-05 thru 4-28-06; LOTT 18-2005, f. 12-21-05, cert. ef. 12-31-05; LOTT 6-2009, f. 9-28-09, cert. ef. 10-1-09; LOTT 7-2009, f. 9-28-09, cert. ef. 10-1-09; LOTT 2-2010, f. 1-29-10, cert. ef. 2-1-10
(1) General: To be a valid winning Draw game ticket, all of the following conditions must be met:
(a) The ticket data must have been recorded in the Lottery’s central computer system prior to the drawing and the information appearing on the ticket must correspond with the computer record;
(b) The ticket must be intact to the extent that all information appearing on the ticket corresponds with the Lottery’s computer records;
(c) The ticket must not be altered or tampered with in any manner;
(d) The ticket must not be counterfeit or a duplicate of another winning ticket;
(e) The ticket must have been issued by an authorized Draw game retailer or dispensed by a player-activated terminal in an authorized manner;
(f) The ticket must not have been stolen or canceled;
(g) The ticket must not have been previously paid;
(h) The ticket is subject to all other confidential security checks of the Lottery.
(2) Ticket as Receipt: Except as provided in section (4) of this rule, a ticket is the only valid receipt for claiming a prize. A copy of a ticket or a play slip has no pecuniary or prize value and does not constitute evidence of ticket purchase or of numbers selected.
(3) Validation Process: A ticket shall be validated through the Lottery’s computer system.
(4) Validation of Lost, Damaged, or Destroyed Tickets Greater than $600: Notwithstanding the requirement that a winning Draw game ticket be submitted to the Oregon Lottery for validation and prize payment, in the event that a Lottery retailer attempted to validate a winning Draw game ticket with a prize of more than $600 and in the course of the validation process the retailer or an employee of the retailer lost, damaged, or destroyed the game ticket, a prize claim based on the lost, damaged, or destroyed ticket may be validated.
(a) The claimant shall obtain, complete, and sign an Oregon Lottery “Winner Claim Form” and Oregon Lottery “Claim Affidavit.” The claimant shall submit the “Winner Claim Form” and “Claim Affidavit” along with any other evidence of the validation attempt in the claimant’s possession including, but not limited to, the “Claim at Lottery” slip produced by the terminal at the time of the validation attempt, to the Lottery Player Services Office, Oregon Lottery, 500 Airport Road SE, Salem, Oregon by mail or in person.
(b) To be validated, the information supplied on the winner claim form, the claim affidavit, and other evidence submitted by the claimant must agree with the data recorded in the Lottery’s central computer system including, but not limited to: Corroboration of the criteria set forth in section (1) of this rule except those specific criteria related to the physical properties of the lost, damaged, or destroyed game ticket; and corroboration of the validation attempt including, but not limited to, identification of the Lottery retailer or clerk who attempted to validate the prize, the time and date of the validation attempt, the ticket serial number, the terminal number, and the prize amount.
(c) The Assistant Director for Security will conduct an investigation to determine if the claim and winning game ticket are valid.
(d) The Director shall, based on all the facts and information available, make a determination whether prize payment is warranted and authorized.
(e) The Director may assign sanctions to a Lottery retailer for the loss, damage, or destruction of a game ticket including, but not limited to, imposing a requirement for training for the retailer or the retailer’s employees, and any other actions that the Lottery may take in response to a retailer’s failure to perform contract duties or requirements as described in the Lottery retailer contract.
(f) A retailer who is the subject of an investigation conducted under this section is required to complete an Oregon Lottery retailer affidavit form explaining the events in question.
Stat. Auth.: OR Const. Art. XV, Sec. 4(4)
Stats. Implemented: ORS 461.250
Hist.: SLC 11-1985(Temp), f. & ef. 10-24-85; SLC 5-1986, f. & ef. 3-5-86; LC 4-1990, f. & cert. ef. 4-3-90; LC 6-1991, f. & cert. ef. 9-25-91; LC 6-1996, f. 5-30-96, cert. ef. 6-1-96; LC 1-1997, f. 1-31-97, cert. ef. 2-1-97; LOTT 4-2000(Temp), f. 6-15-00, cert. ef. 6-15-00 thru 12-12-00; LOTT 7-2000, f. & cert. ef. 10-4-00; LOTT 15-2002(Temp), f. 9-6-02, cert. ef. 9-9-02 thru 3-6-03; LOTT 26-2002, f. & cert. ef. 11-25-02; LOTT 10-2005(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 11-2-05 thru 4-28-06; LOTT 18-2005, f. 12-21-05, cert. ef. 12-31-05; LOTT 6-2009, f. 9-28-09, cert. ef. 10-1-09
Unauthorized Use of Play Slips
(1) General: A person shall not insert into a Draw game terminal’s play slip reader any material that is not a play slip printed and approved for use by the Oregon Lottery, including but not limited to facsimiles or copies of play slips. No device shall be connected to a Lottery terminal to enter plays, except as may be approved by the Lottery.
(2) Hand-Marked: All plays made in the game shall be marked on the play slip by hand. No play slips with plays marked by an electric or mechanical device shall be used to enter plays.
Stat. Auth.: OR Const. Art. XV, Sec. 4(4)
Stats. Implemented: ORS 461.210
Hist.: LC 6-1992, f. & cert. ef. 6-23-92; LOTT 15-2002(Temp), f. 9-6-02, cert. ef. 9-9-02 thru 3-6-03; LOTT 26-2002, f. & cert. ef. 11-25-02; LOTT 6-2009, f. 9-28-09, cert. ef. 10-1-09
Oregon Secretary of State • 136 State Capitol • Salem, OR 97310-0722
Phone: (503) 986-1523 • Fax: (503) 986-1616 • firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2013 State of Oregon All Rights Reserved