REFEREES AND JUDGES
Director Shall Select Boxing Referee
The Director shall select and assign all boxing referees.
Boxing Referee's License
In order to be licensed as a boxing referee, an applicant may be required to meet all the following requirements:
(1) Have two years of documented experience refereeing boxing matches. It is not necessary that this experience be obtained by refereeing professional boxing contests.
(2) Be found after examination by a licensed physician to be physically and mentally fit to referee a boxing contest and to have an uncorrected visual acuity of at least 20/100 in both eyes. Weight shall be proportionate to height in accordance with the standards of the American Medical Association in effect at the time of the effective date of this regulation.
(3) Be in good physical condition with the speed and reflexes in the ring necessary for the protection of the boxers.
(4) In order to renew a boxing referee's license, a boxing referee shall comply with sections (2) and (3) of this rule in addition to any other requirements for renewal set forth in the law or these regulations.
Boxing Referee's Uniforms
Boxing referees shall wear black trousers and a blue, long-sleeved shirt with black bow tie.
Fees for Event Officials
At all boxing events each timekeeper, referee, judge, ringside physician, and inspectors assigned by the Director to be in attendance thereat, shall be paid such fee as the Superintendent shall order, in accordance with the schedule set forth in these administrative rules. Payment shall be made by the promoter in the form of individual cashier's checks delivered to the Director at least 72 hours prior to the commencement of the scheduled promotional event.
Schedule of Fees
(1) Mileage: All assigned officials shall be paid a mileage allowance of .25 cents a mile for actual round trip travel from the official’s residence to the venue, less 40 miles.
(2) All officials assigned to shows more than 100 miles from their homes shall be entitled to a hotel room. If rooms are not provided by the promoter, such officials are entitled to $50 upon presenting a hotel receipt (not to include meals, telephone, etc.) Officials must make prior arrangements to be eligible for payment.
(3) One extra referee or judge shall be assigned to boxing shows that have 40 to 49 rounds scheduled and two extra referees and/or judges shall be assigned to shows that have 50 or more rounds scheduled.
(4) Referees and judges shall be paid according to the following pay scale:
Net Gate — Main Event Referee — Preliminary Referee
$1.00–15,000 — $150 — $150
15,001–20,000 — $210 — $170
20,001–30,000 — $260 — $180
30,001–40,000 — $315 — $200
Over 40,000 — $425 — $270
Net Gate — Judge — Standby Official
$1.00–15,000 — $85 — $50
15,001–20,000 — $100 — $50
20,001–30,000 — $120 — $50
30,001–40,000 — $170 — $50
Over 40,000 — $225 — $50
(5) Inspectors and the Chief Inspector shall be paid according to the following pay scale:
Net Gate — Inspector — Chief Inspector
$1.00–15,000 — $50 — $75
15,001–20,000 — $50 — $75
20,001–30,000 — $50 — $75
30,001–40,000 — $50 — $75
Over 40,000 — $50 — $75
(6) Timekeepers shall be paid according to the following pay scale:
Net Gate — Pay
$1.00–15,000.00 — $50
15,000–50,000.00 — $75
(7) “Net gate” means the total gross receipts including television and video income minus state taxes and administrative fees paid by the promoter.
(8) Physicians for boxing events shall be paid $300. Duties include performing pre- and post-fight exams and attending at ringside. When a boxing event will be televised (live or tape delayed), two physicians will be assigned.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 463.113
Stats. Implemented: ORS 463.113
Hist.: BWC 1-1995, f. 10-10-95, cert. ef. 10-13-95
Boxing and Wrestling Referee's Physical Examination
(1) In addition to any other qualifications for boxing and wrestling referees established by the Superintendent, each applicant for a boxing or wrestling referee's license who has not been previously licensed and examined shall submit to an initial physical examination which shall include all tests necessary to determine an applicant's physical fitness, agility, reflexes, and reaction time as specified by the Superintendent which examination shall be taken at a facility and by a physician or physicians specified by the Oregon State Boxing and Wrestling Commission Section's medical director. The cost of the examination shall be the responsibility of the applicant.
(2) All boxing and wrestling referees shall submit to an annual regular examination to establish their physical fitness and may be required to be examined prior to officiating on a particular card.
Grading of Referee's Performance
It shall be the duty of the Superintendent's Representative to grade each boxing referee's performance for each contest presided over by the boxing referee. The grade shall be either satisfactory or unsatisfactory and shall be arrived at by considering, among other things, the boxing referee's reflexes, and overall ability to direct and control the contest in a manner designed to ensure the protection of the participants and to obtain the contestants' compliance with the statutes and rules of the Department applicable to the particular contest. The grader may include written comments where a satisfactory grade is rendered but shall make specific written comments where a grade of unsatisfactory is rendered. The grade and any comments pertaining thereto shall be filed with the Director in the Director's office and may be inspected or copied by the boxing referee or anyone designated in writing by the boxing referee so graded.
Referees to be Admitted
Any licensed boxing referee shall b e admitted to any boxing show, and any licensed wrestling referee shall be admitted to any wrestling show in the state on presentation of a referee's license card. A ticket shall be issued to any referee upon presentation of a referee's license b ut the Superintendent shall not collect a tax on any ticket so issued.
Boxing and wrestling referees, seconds and judges may be required to hold an active CPR card.
State Archives • 800 Summer St. NE • Salem, OR 97310