RESPIRATORY THERAPIST AND POLYSOMNOGRAPHIC TECHNOLOGISTS LICENSING BOARD
The following definitions apply to OAR 331-705-0000 through 331-720-0020:
(1) "Affidavit of Licensure" means an original document or other approved means of verifying an authorization to practice (certification, licensure or registration) status and history, including information disclosing all unresolved or outstanding penalties and/or disciplinary actions. Refer to OAR 331-030-0040.
(2) "Agency" means the Oregon Health Licensing Agency.
(3) “AASM” means the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
(4) “A-STEP” means the Accredited Sleep Technology Education Program.
(5) “BRPT” means Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists.
(6) “CAAHEP” means Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.
(7) “CoARC” means Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care.
(8) “CRT” means Certified Respiratory Therapist.
(9) “NBRC” means the National Board for Respiratory Care.
(10) "Official transcript" means an original document authorized by the appropriate office in the Oregon Department of Education and certified by a college or university indicating applicant identity information, hours and types of course work, examinations and scores that the student has completed. Original documents must be submitted directly to the Agency from the college or university by United States Postal Service mail or other recognized mail service providers in a sealed envelope;
(11) “RPSGT” means Registered Polysomnographic Technologists.
(12) “RRT”means Registered Respiratory Therapist.
(13) “Qualified Medical Director for Polysomnography” has the definition set forth in ORS Chapter 688.800.
(14) “Qualified Medical Director for Respiratory Care” has the definition set forth in ORS Chapter 688.800.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 676.605, 676.615
Stats. Implemented: ORS 676.605, 676.615 & 688.830
Hist.: HDLB 1-1997(Temp), f. 12-19-97, cert. ef. 12-22-97 thru 6-19-98; HDLP 2-1998, f. & cert. ef. 6-15-98; HLO 4-2004, f. 6-29-04, cert. ef. 7-1-04; HLA 7-2010, f. & cert. ef. 11-1-10; HLA 15-2011, f. 12-30-11, cert. ef. 1-1-12
Licensure Exemption for Supervisors and Polysomnography Students
(1) Students actively enrolled in the following education programs are exempt from polysomnographic technologist licensure pursuant to ORS 688.805(2)(b)(A):
(a) Associate’s degree program in polysomnography, polysomnographic technology, or sleep technology from an accredited community college, college, or university; or
(b) Polysomnography course of study from a CAAHEP accredited institution;
(2) In accordance with ORS 688.805(2)(b)(B) to be exempt from licensure students in subsection (1) of this rule must be supervised by one of the following:
(a) A licensed polysomnographic technician;
(b) A qualified medical director for polysomnography;
(c) Respiratory therapist who holds a Sleep Disorder Specialty credential through the NBRC; or
(d) Respiratory therapist who holds a RSPGT credential through the BRPT.
(3) Direct supervision, for the purpose of this rule, is supervision of a student in polysomnography by an approved supervisor who is physically present with the student while the student is working. The supervisor must exercise direction and control over the student’s work. An approved supervisor supervising a student may not supervise more than one student per shift.
Stat. Auth.: ORS
676.606, 676.607, 676.611, 676.615 & 688.830
Stats. Implemented: ORS 688.800 & 688.805
Hist.: HLA 15-2011, f. 12-30-11, cert. ef. 1-1-12; HLA 5-2013(Temp), f. 3-12-13, cert. ef. 4-1-13 thru 9-28-13; HLA 7-2013, f. 5-16-13, cert. ef. 6-1-13
Oregon State Archives • 800 Summer St. NE • Salem, OR 97310