The following definitions apply as used in OAR 332-015-0000 through 332-030-0000.
(1) "Agency" means the Oregon Health Licensing Agency. The agency is responsible for the budget, personnel, performance-based outcomes, consumer protection, fee collection, mediation, complaint resolution, discipline, rulemaking and record keeping.
(2) "Antepartum" means the period of time before the onset of labor.
(3) "Board" means, pursuant to ORS 687.470, the entity that advises the agency on matters relating to the practice of direct entry midwifery, and determines practice standards, education and training, and provides consultation to the agency on all disciplinary issues in accordance with ORS 687.405 to 687.495.
(4) “Baby” means the fetus and the newborn.
(5) "Consultation" means a dialogue for the purpose of obtaining information or advice from a health care provider by phone, written notes, or in person, which may include, but is not limited to identification of and recommendation regarding management of maternal or fetal conditions.
(6) "Fetal distress" is a condition in which the fetus demonstrates progressive and irresolvable clinical signs of compromise, which may include, but are not limited to, abnormal fetal movement; loss of heart tone variability; non-reassuring fetal heart rate deceleration patterns such as late decelerations; and non-reassuring changes in fetal heart baseline rate.
(7) "Informed Consent" means the consent obtained following a thorough and easily understood explanation of the information to the mother or the mother’s guardian. Refer to OAR 332-025-0120. Informed consent used in OAR 332-025-0125 does not apply to this definition.
(8) "Intrapartum" means the period of time from the onset of labor through the birth of the placenta.
(9) "LDM” means licensed direct entry midwife.
(10) "MANA" means the Midwives Alliance of North America.
(11) "MEAC" means the Midwifery Education and Accreditation Council.
(12) "NARM" means the North American Registry of Midwives.
(13) "Peer review" means the discussion of cases with other health care providers and students for the purpose of obtaining and providing suggestions regarding care.
(14) "Postpartum" means the period of time immediately after and up to eight weeks following the birth of the baby.
(15) "Prenatal" means the period of time from conception to the onset of labor.
(16) "Primary birth attendant" means the midwife who assumes direct responsibility for mother and baby care.
(17) "Sharps" means items that includes needles, intravenous tubing with needles attached, scalpel blades, lancets, glass tubes that could be broken during handling and syringes that have been removed from their original sterile containers.
(18) “Traditional Midwife” Pursuant to ORS 687.415 an individual who is acting as a traditional midwife, does not use legend drugs and devices, does not advertise as a midwife, and provides the required disclosures to clients may practice direct entry midwifery in this state without a license to practice direct entry midwifery.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 687.485
Stats. Implemented: ORS 183.450(7) & 687.485
Hist.: DEM 1-1993(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 12-22-93; DEM 1-1994, f. & cert. ef. 6-15-94; DEM 1-1998, f. 2-27-98, cert. ef. 3-1-98; DEM 1-1999(Temp), f. 9-1-99, cert. ef. 9-9-99 thru 2-29-00; DEM 2-1999, f. 12-17-99, cert. ef. 12-20-99; DEM 1-2002, f. 2-25-02 cert. ef. 3-1-02; DEM 1-2004, f. 6-29-04, cert. ef. 7-1-04; DEM 4-2010, f. 12-30-10, cert. ef. 1-1-11; DEM 5-2011, f. & cert. ef. 9-26-11; DEM 2-2014, f. 12-31-14, cert. ef. 1-1-15
Direct Entry Midwifery License
(1) A direct entry midwife, licensed under ORS 687.420, may perform direct entry midwifery services defined under 687.405.
(2) A direct entry midwife license is good for one year and becomes inactive on the last day of the month one year from the date of issuance.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 676.615, 676.616, 687.410,
687.415, 687.420, 687.425, 687.445, 687.480 & 687.493
Stats. Implemented: ORS 676.615, 676.616, 687.410, 687.145, 687.420, 687.425, 687.445, 687.480 & 687.493
Hist.: DEM 2-2014, f. 12-31-14, cert. ef. 1-1-15
Application Requirements Direct Entry Midwifery License
An individual applying for licensure to practice direct entry midwifery must:
(1) Meet the requirements of OAR 331 division 30.
(2) Submit a completed application form prescribed by the agency, which must contain the information listed in OAR 331-030-0000 and be accompanied by payment of the required application and license fees.
(3) Submit current certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation for adults, neonates and infants.
(4) Submit a written plan for emergency transport for mother or newborn pursuant to OAR 332-025-0020.
(5) Submit satisfactory evidence of having current CPM credential from NARM; and
(6) Pursuant to ORS 687.420, participation as an assistant at 25 deliveries, 25 deliveries for which the applicant was the primary birth attendant, participation in 100 prenatal care visits, 25 newborn examinations, and 40 postnatal examinations. The applicant must have provided continuity care for at least 10 of the primary birth attendant deliveries, including four prenatal visits, one newborn examination and one postpartum exam. Of these 50 births, at least 25 deliveries must have taken place in an out-of-hospital setting and 10 births must have occurred within the two years or 24 months preceding the date of application.
(7) If there is more than one birth attendant present at the same birth, the birth attendants must designate which birth attendant is primary.
(8) If the applicant received the Initial Renewal Legend Drugs and Devices continuing education prior to applying for licensure the applicant my provide the documentation of successful completion during the time of application. If applicant receives the continuing education within 12 months of applying for licensure the applicant must attest to having received the continuing education at the time of next renewal on a form prescribed by the agency.
(9) If the applicant has not received the Initial Renewal Legend Drugs and Devices continuing education listed under OAR 332-020-0010(2) or (3) at the time of application this information must be disclosed to each patient on the patient disclosure form required under OAR 332-025-0020.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 687.420 & 687.485
Stats. Implemented: ORS 687.420 & 687.485
Hist.: DEM 1-1994, f. & cert. ef. 6-15-94; DEM 1-1998, f. 2-27-98, cert. ef. 3-1-98; DEM 1-2002, f. 2-25-02 cert. ef. 3-1-02; DEM 1-2004, f. 6-29-04, cert. ef. 7-1-04; DEM 4-2010, f. 12-30-10, cert. ef. 1-1-11; DEM 1-2014(Temp), f. 12-31-14, cert. ef. 1-2-15 thru 6-27-15; DEM 2-2014, f. 12-31-14, cert. ef. 1-1-15; DEM 2-2015, f. & cert. ef. 7-1-15
Applicant’s education must incorporate the general educational requirements listed in the NARM CPM candidate information bulletin, including:
(1) Core competencies developed by MANA;
(2) NARM written test specifications;
(3) NARM skills assessment test specifications;
(4) NARM written examination primary reference list; and
(5) NARM skills assessment reference list.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 183, 687.420, 687.480 & 687.485
Stats. Implemented: ORS 183, 687.420, 687.480 & 687.485
Hist.: DEM 1-1994, f. & cert. ef. 6-15-94; DEM 1-1998, f. 2-27-98, cert. ef. 3-1-98; DEM 2-1998, f. 4-14-98, cert. ef. 4-15-98; DEM 1-2002, f. 2-25-02 cert. ef. 3-1-02; DEM 1-2004, f. 6-29-04, cert. ef. 7-1-04; DEM 4-2010, f. 12-30-10, cert. ef. 1-1-11
NARM Midwifery Examination
The qualifying examination is the NARM examination. An applicant is responsible for payment of all fees for NARM applications, examinations, and any other fees paid directly to NARM.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 676.615, 687.480 & 687.485
Stats. Implemented: ORS 676.615, 687.480 & 687.485
Hist.: DEM 1-1994, f. & cert. ef. 6-15-94; DEM 1-1998, f. 2-27-98, cert. ef. 3-1-98; DEM 1-2004, f. 6-29-04, cert. ef. 7-1-04; DEM 4-2010, f. 12-30-10, cert. ef. 1-1-11
License Display and Posting Requirements
(1) A licensee must show proof of valid license with the agency upon request or post the license document in public view at the licensees primary workplace.
(2) A licensee may temporarily conceal the address printed on the license document with a covering that is removable.
(3) A licensee must carry the license identification card (pocket card), or post in plain view, the official license anytime services are being provided.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 687.485 & 687.615
Stats. Implemented: ORS 687.425, 687.485, 676.606 & 676.607
Hist.: DEM 4-2010, f. 12-30-10, cert. ef. 1-1-11
State Archives • 800 Summer St. NE • Salem, OR 97310