STUDENT HEALTH SERVICES AND INSURANCE
Student Health Services
The Student Health Service (Plageman Hall) provides student health services in accordance with the rules of the Oregon State System of Higher Education, OAR 580-011-0005. Charges for services are itemized in the University's fee rule, 576-010-0000.
Health Insurance Requirements for Non-Immigrant International Students and Their Dependents
(1) In order to assist the University in complying with federal regulations, and to ensure the quality of the educational and cultural experience of non-immigrant international students at Oregon State University, such students must demonstrate their ability to meet their financial responsibilities in full. These responsibilities include the provision by non-immigrant international students of medical care for themselves and dependent family members in the United States.
(2) As used in this rule, "OSU Plan" means the insurance plan available through Oregon State University for non-immigrant international students.
(3) All non-immigrant international students enrolled part- or full-time at Oregon State University shall provide health insurance coverage for themselves and their dependent family members in the United States. Non-immigrant international students may fulfill this requirement by enrolling themselves and their dependent family members in the OSU Plan, or by securing a comparable insurance waiver under section (5) of this rule, within 21 days of enrollment at OSU.
(4) Charges for enrollment of international students and their dependents in the OSU plan will automatically be billed to such students' OSU accounts unless they have secured a comparable insurance waiver under section (5) of this rule. Students who are enrolled for spring term will automatically be billed and enrolled for both spring and summer term.
(5) A non-immigrant international student who does not wish to participate in the OSU Plan may apply to the Director of Student Health Services for a comparable insurance waiver. Such application shall be submitted to the Student Health Insurance Office on a form provided by that office, which will require documentation of coverage. A comparable insurance waiver may be granted only when the student is covered by an alternative policy, plan or contract that provides comparable coverage:
(a) "Comparable coverage" means that the alternative policy, plan or contract meets or exceeds all levels of coverage provided by the OSU Plan, including any exclusions, the maximum amount of coverage per accident and illness, and the maximum amount of cumulative benefit; and that the alternative policy, plan or contract is either backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the international student's home country; is part of a health benefits program offered on a group basis to employees or enrolled students by a designated sponsor; or is an alternative plan lawfully sold in Oregon.
(b) Documentation of such coverage must indicate in English the insurance company's name and address for billing purposes, policy number, the coverage terms of the policy, the effective dates of the policy, and any exclusions, the names of the individuals covered by the policy, and the maximum amount of coverage per accident and illness and/or in terms of cumulative benefits.
(c) In all cases proof of continuous coverage is required during the student's program of study.
(d) Notwithstanding section (5)(a) of this rule, the Vice Provost for Student Affairs may designate as comparable coverage any plan for which non-immigrant international students are eligible that is offered through a University-recognized collective bargaining agreement.
(6) Non-immigrant international students may contest the factual premise underlying any decision to deny a comparable insurance waiver by presenting their documentation and arguments before the Vice Provost for Student Affairs.
(7) A non-immigrant international student whose request for a comparable insurance waiver is denied shall be enrolled in the OSU Plan and premiums will be billed to the student's OSU account.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 351.070
Stats. Implemented: ORS 351.070
Hist.: OSU 6-1980, f. & ef. 12-3-80; OSU 5-1994, f. & cert. ef. 6-30-94; OSU 3-2003, f. 6-19-03, cert. ef. 9-18-03
Oregon Secretary of State • 136 State Capitol • Salem, OR 97310-0722
Phone: (503) 986-1523 • Fax: (503) 986-1616 • email@example.com
© 2013 State of Oregon All Rights Reserved