USE AND SAFETY RULES FOR TRAVEL IN STATE-OWNED OR CONTROLLED VEHICLES
Oregon State University adopts these rules to govern use of vehicles on official university business by faculty, staff, and students.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 351.070
Stats. Implemented; ORS 351.070
Hist.: OSU 4-1992, f. & cert. ef. 6-5-92
(1) "Vehicle" means cars, vans, trucks, and buses.
(2) "State-owned Vehicle" means a vehicle which is owned by or registered in the name of the State of Oregon, Oregon State University, or any of its departments.
(3) "Hired Vehicle" means a vehicle which is leased, hired, or rented by the State, Oregon State University, or any of its departments.
(4) "State Business" means any activity for which all or part of the expenses may be reimbursed by any unit, department, or program of Oregon State University.
(5) "Faculty and Staff" means personnel on the university payroll and volunteers who are registered with the Business Affairs Office.
(6) "Student" means a person currently enrolled/registered at OSU.
(7) "Officially Sanctioned Program" means any program undertaken to further the instructional, research, or service missions of Oregon State University or designed to promote the cultural and physical development of students. Such programs include but are not limited to:
(a) Academic department programs;
(b) Co-curricular programs;
(c) Intramural, recreational sports, club sports, and intercollegiate athletic programs;
(d) Any student programs or activities identified by the Vice Provost for Student Affairs or designee. Examples of such activities include, but are not limited to, student government, student housing activities, and activities sponsored by student organizations that are consistent with the university's mission.
Uses by Faculty, Staff, and Students
(1) Vehicles must be operated within the laws, rules and regulations of the State of Oregon and the policies and procedures of OSU, as found in the OSU Motor Pool Handbook, the OSU Safety Procedures Handbook and the Motor Pool Information Policies and Procedures Publication, all available at the OSU Motor Pool Office. State-owned vehicles are for state business only and may not be used for any private purpose except as specifically authorized by State Department of Administrative Services regulations.
(2) Drivers of state-owned vehicles, or hired vehicles must certify that they:
(a) Possess a driver's license valid in Oregon;
(b) Have not committed a "major traffic offense", as defined in ORS 153.500 and enumerated in the OSU's Safety Procedures Handbook, within the past 36 months, as certified by a check of DMV records;
(c) Have satisfactory driving experience with the type of vehicle being used.
(3) Drivers of state-owned or hired vehicles shall:
(a) Ensure that all passengers have an operable seat belt;
(b) Prior to a trip, evaluate the route, weather conditions and other circumstances to determine which additional safety equipment such as a flashlight, ice scraper, first aid kit, emergency instructions, tire chains, etc. are necessary;
(c) File itineraries, to include destinations and anticipated departure and return times, with the Motor Pool;
(d) Provide for a relief driver if travelling continuously for over four hours and carrying passengers;
(e) Make rest stops every two hours on long trips where practical.
(4) The use charge for state-owned vehicles must be paid from an appropriate state account.
(5) Non-state employees and non-students riding in state-owned vehicles may do so only when authorized by a university department head.
(6) Use of state vehicles for home-to-office travel is not authorized and shall be considered vehicle misuse.
[Publications: The publication(s) referred to or incorporated by reference in this rule are available from the agency.]
Students shall have access to university Motor Pool services and state-owned vehicles subject to the following general guidelines:
(1) Student use of Motor Pool vehicles is authorized only for events or activities directly related to an officially sanctioned program.
(2) Student organization use of state vehicles is restricted to student organizations receiving student fee program funds collected by the university student fee funding procedure.
(3) Students participating in student fee funded programs under the auspices of the Memorial Union and Student Activities or the Recreational Sports Program must present an authorized purchase order to the Motor Pool before obtaining vehicle access.
(4) If a student is not an OSU employee, he/she must present a student driver authorization form from the department or unit head before obtaining a Motor Pool vehicle.
Oregon Secretary of State • 136 State Capitol • Salem, OR 97310-0722
Phone: (503) 986-1523 • Fax: (503) 986-1616 • firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2013 State of Oregon All Rights Reserved