Oregon State University adopts these rules to control animals on campus.
(1) "Animal" means any bird, reptile or mammal kept as a pet.
(2) "Leash" means any rope, strap, chain or similar device not exceeding six feet in length, held in the hand of a person capable of controlling the animal to which it is attached.
(1) The City of Corvallis animal control ordinance, Corvallis Municipal Code 5.03.050, together with any adopted amendments, is applicable and enforceable on university owned and controlled property within the City.
(2) No person shall bring an animal onto university owned or controlled property and leave it unattended for any length of time.
(3) No person shall attach any animal by the use of any leash or other device to any tree, pole, fence, sign, building, fire hydrant, vehicle or other object on university owned or controlled property.
(4) No person shall confine or attach an animal within or to a motor vehicle either leashed, tied or loose in such a way that the animal can extend beyond that vehicle.
(5) Animals are not allowed on university owned or controlled property unless on a leash and under the control of a person capable of controlling the animal.
(6) No person shall bring an animal onto university owned or controlled property unless it has a current license.
(7) Animals are not permitted in university owned or controlled buildings.
(a) Assistance animals trained to assist a physically impaired person in one or more daily life activities, including but not limited to Guide Dogs for the Blind, Companion Dogs for the Deaf, Canine Companions for Independence (including those dogs in training), or those associated with a comparable nationally recognized organization;
(b) Animals under guidance and control of university staff for the purpose of research or other academic endeavors.
(c) Pets of professional and teaching faculty who live in residential facilities operated by University Housing and Dining Services (UHDS), when authorized in advance by UHDS under criteria established by UHDS. Such criteria shall address health and safety concerns and the suitability of the animal for living in a residence hall setting.
Stat.. Auth.: ORS 346.685 & 351.070
Stats. Implemented: ORS 346.685 & 351.070
Hist.: OSU 7-1995, f. & cert. ef. 12-13-95; OSU 7-1997, f. & cert. ef. 6-16-97; OSU 2-2005, f. & cert. ef. 12-16-05
(1) Any person who violates this rule is subject to:
(a) Issuance of a University Notification by a Public Safety Officer;
(b) An order to leave the premises and remove the animal from property owned or controlled by the university by a person in charge of university property;
(c) Disciplinary action, if a student or university employee.
(2) Animals found on university or controlled property in violation of OAR 576-045-0020 will be impounded and taken to the Human Society if the owner cannot be readily located.
(3) Persons failing to comply with an order by a person in charge to leave or to remain off the immediate premises or property owned or controlled by the University are subject to arrest for criminal trespass.
(4) The Vice President for Finance and Administration, Director of Facilities Services, Manager of Environmental and Public Safety, Security Services Manager, Public Safety Officers, Director of Student Housing and Residence Programs and their designees, have the authority of "persons in charge" of university property for purposes of ORS 164.205 and this rule.