USE OF BUILDINGS, GROUNDS, AND SERVICES
Use of University facilities shall at all times be consistent with the University's three primary purposes: instruction, research, and public service. However, the University shall retain the right of determining which activities are consistent with its primary purposes.
All persons or groups using University facilities shall conform to the requirements of these rules and other University policies, as well as applicable Administrative Rules of the Oregon State Board of Higher Education and city, county, state, and federal ordinances and statutes.
(1) "University" means Portland State University.
(2) "Buildings" mean buildings or structures or portions thereof, owned or leased by the University. It includes buildings or structures owned by the State of Oregon or the State Board of Higher Education, operated by or through the University, and included within the approved campus boundaries.
(3) "Facilities" means University owned or operated buildings, equipment, or property, including grounds, and University services where applicable.
(4) "Services" means services preformed by the University for students, staff, faculty, and the public in connection with instruction, research, and public service. It includes, but is not limited to, computing, duplicating, telephone, addressing, food service, gym suit service, scheduling, and janitorial services.
(5) "Grounds" means all real property, other than buildings, owned or controlled by the University.
(6) "South Park Block" means that portion of the City of Portland's South Park Blocks bounded on the east and west by S.W. Park Avenue, on the north by S.W. Montgomery Street and on the south by S.W. Harrison Street.
(7) "Internal Users" means:
(a) Academic or administrative departments or units of the University or interinstitutional groups composed of official representatives of PSU and other institutions within OSSHE;
(b) Student organizations, including those formally sanctioned by academic units of the University, registered through the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs;
(c) Faculty and staff of the University, active or retired; and
(d) University alumni activities recognized by the Office of Alumni Relations.
(8) "External Users" means:
(a) Educational institutions or organizations, other than the University;
(b) City, county, state, and federal agencies, and tax-supported organizations such as school districts;
(c) Civic and community organizations whose activities are consistent with the purposes of the University; or
(d) Private organizations, political organizations, or individuals whose activities are consistent with the purposes of the University.
(9) The Office of the Registrar is the scheduling office for instructional activities in all University facilities under the jurisdiction of the Office of Academic Affairs. Individual academic departments are responsible for scheduling in all instructional facilities under the jurisdiction of the individual academic departments and as authorized by the Office of Academic Affairs.
(10) The University Scheduling Office is the scheduling office for Smith Memorial Center, the Performing Arts Center, and for non-instructional activities in all University buildings except the Health and Physical Education Building.
(11) The Office of the Dean of the School of Health and Physical Education is the scheduling office for HPE programs and athletic events in the Health and Physical Education Building.
(12) "Public Areas" means University facilities which are, by their physical nature, function, custom or usage, generally open to the public.
(13) "Non-Public Areas" means University facilities, including classrooms; laboratories; gymnasia; physical education exercise rooms; research areas; child day care facilities; offices assigned to faculty, administrative or staff personnel; conference rooms; seminar rooms; lounges; storage areas; parking structures; or other similar areas, which are generally not open to the general public.
(14) "Person-in-Charge" means an employee of the University, or appropriate person, authorized by the University to administer or direct an activity of the University.
Use of University Facilities by Internal Users
(1) Use of University facilities by internal users shall be arranged through the appropriate scheduling office. Requests for use of University facilities by internal users shall be made in accordance with established procedures. When there are conflicting requests for space, a determination will be made by the scheduling office concerning which users will be authorized use of space. Such determination will be made based upon the "priority of use" guidelines established by the scheduling office and approved by the President, or the President's designee.
(2) Use of the South Park Block by internal users shall be scheduled through the Smith Memorial Center Scheduling Office and approved by the Vice President for Student Affairs.
Use of University Facilities by External Users
(1) Any use of University facilities by an external user must be approved by the President of the University or by the President's designee. External users shall follow the same procedures for requesting space as are required of internal users.
(2) Use of the South Park Block by external users shall be scheduled through the Park Bureau of the City of Portland.
(3) The University shall not make University facilities available to the following external users and activities:
(a) Private, personal, or commercial interests operated primarily for profit, except as provided for in the Administrative Rules of the Oregon State Board of Higher Education;
(b) Sales, solicitation, advertising, or promotional activities; and
(c) Political campaigning by or for candidates who have filed for public office, or for ballot measures.
(4) Exceptions to this rule may be granted by the President or by the President's designee when the external group is sponsored by an internal user or when the purposes of the external users are found to be consistent with the purposes of the University. All external users must also comply with other portions of these Administrative Rules.
Fees for Using University Facilities
The University Scheduling Office shall establish a fee schedule, subject to the approval of the President, or the President's designee. Schedules shall be adopted in accordance with the Administrative Procedures Act. In cases of extreme hardship or other unusual circumstances, fees or a portion thereof, may be waived. All requests for fee waivers shall be submitted to the President, or the President's designee, who shall make the final determination.
Conditions of Use
(1) University faculty administrative and staff personnel, and University students are permitted access to public areas, and, when engaged in a University authorized or assigned activity, to non-public areas.
(2) Members of the general public who are not University employees or students are permitted access to the public areas of the University, provided such access is consistent with the provisions of OAR 577-071-0005.
(3) Members of the general public who are not University employees or students are prohibited from use of non-public University facilities except upon the authorization of the person-in-charge.
(4) University employees and students, and members of the general public are prohibited from bringing animals into University facilities, excluding grounds; exempted from this prohibition are University employees and students, and members of the general public:
(a) Who are legally handicapped, and whose handicap requires the assistance of a dog; or
(b) Are engaged in an authorized University instructional, research or public service activity requiring the presence of animals in University facilities.
(5) University faculty, administrative and staff personnel, University students, and members of the general public are expressly prohibited from consuming food or beverages of any kind whatsoever in any University classroom or laboratory, except as authorized in writing by the appropriate vice president. Exempted from this prohibition are facilities within Smith Memorial Center under the scheduling jurisdiction of the University Scheduling Office.
(6) Smoking is expressly prohibited in any University classroom or laboratory.
(7) The dispensing or consumption of alcoholic beverages is expressly prohibited in any University facility, except as authorized under the provisions of the University's Internal Management Directive 5.500.
(8) The University reserves the right to impose such requirements on the use of University facilities as it may deem necessary, and reserves the right to reassign or substitute facilities as available and when the University deems such reassignment or substitution is in the best interests of the University.
Internal or External Users who are denied use of University facilities for whatever reason may appeal the denial to the President or the President's designee, who shall make a final determination.
Oregon State Archives • 800 Summer St. NE • Salem, OR 97310