With the exception of guide dogs for handicapped persons and dogs in vehicles, all dogs are banned from the Oregon Institute of Technology campus.
Possession and Use of Firearms and Explosives
(1) ORS 166.370 and OAR 580-022-0045(3) prohibits the possession and use of firearms and explosives on campus unless expressly authorized by institutional rule.
(2) OIT further prohibits employees, students and the public from carrying or possessing firearms and explosives onto OIT property, including vehicles, even if they have a concealed weapons permit with the following exception: This policy exempts police, military and other law enforcement officials with specific statutory and agency authority to possess a firearm in the performance of their duties.
(3) Faculty and staff may request from the president an exemption to this policy based on a compelling educational interest.
(4) Students living in the OIT Residence Hall and their guests may store firearms on campus in the Residence Hall gun storage locker, which is a controlled firearm storeroom.
(a) The controlled firearm storeroom requires that firearms be tagged with the owner's name and that the gun has a visible identification number. The firearms(s) must be unloaded and dismantled to be inoperable or have a trigger lock in place.
(b) Firearms will be released only to the owner.
(c) Access to the firearms storage area for the purposes of checking in and out firearms will be during predetermined hours and controlled by the Residence Hall staff.
(d) OIT may refuse to issue a firearm to the owner, if in the staff's judgment the owner's current physical or emotional condition or other circumstances make possession of the firearm unreasonably dangerous. The supervisor's decision regarding return of the firearm may be appealed to the Director of Housing and Residence Life who will decide when the firearm will be returned to the owner.
(e) No fees are required for firearm storage. Temporary storage for a registered guest of a resident using the controlled firearm storeroom will also be provided at no cost.
(5) Persons observed possessing firearms in the Residence Hall should be reported immediately to the Director of Housing or Residence Life staff. Persons observed possessing firearms elsewhere on campus should be reported to Campus Security.
(6) Persons violating this rule are subject to sanctions authorized by OAR 580-022-0045, Proscribed Conduct.
Access to Student Housing
Access to the Oregon Institute of Technology Residence Hall is open to all single students registered during the regular academic year. In keeping with the educational mission of Oregon Institute of Technology, approved by Oregon State Board of Higher Education (1991), exceptions to this rule may be granted to groups and individuals participating in related community programs and/or bona fide educational activities. Requests for exception should be directed to the Office of Housing and Residence Life. Exceptions will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and will take into consideration extenuating circumstances which may include such things as current occupancy, length of residency period, time of the year, and groups of individuals previous registration and residence history.
Firearm Storage Regulations and Fees
(1) Pursuant to OAR 578-050-0010, a controlled firearm storage will be maintained for use of students living in the OIT Residence Hall or their guests. Such use will be available under the following conditions:
(a) Firearms must be tagged with the owner's name and have a visible identification number;
(b) Firearms must be unloaded and have the firing pin removed or a trigger lock in place;
(c) Access to the storage area for purposes of checking items in and out will be during pre-determined hours and be controlled by Residence Hall staff. Weapons must be logged in and out of the area by the designated staff person;
(d) Weapons will be released only to the owner.
(2) If the storage area is not open and arrangements cannot be made immediately for storage, the firearm must be stored off campus or in a vehicle. Regulations for storage in a vehicle on campus are stated in OAR 578-050-0010.
(3) The controlled storeroom supervisor may refuse to return a weapon to the owner, if in the supervisor's judgement, the owner's current physical or emotional condition or other circumstances make possession of the weapon unreasonably dangerous.
(4) The supervisor's decisions regarding return of weapons may be appealed to the Dean of Students, who after talking with both the owner and the supervisor, and others if relevant, will decide when the weapon will be returned.
(5) A fee of $15 per term, per item, is required for this service. Temporary storage for a registered guest of a resident using the controlled firearm storeroom will be provided at no additional cost.
State Archives • 800 Summer St. NE • Salem, OR 97310