THE PRACTICE OF WATER RIGHT EXAMINATION
Continuing Professional Development — Certified Water Right Examiner (CWRE)
The purpose of professional development requirements is to demonstrate a continuing level of competency of certified water right examiners (CWRE).
(a) A Registered Geologist that holds certification as a CWRE is required to obtain 10 professional development hour (PDH) units during the current biennial renewal period in order to renew for the next biennial renewal period.
(b) Every CWRE will report their PDH units on the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Organizational form and submit to the Board office with the renewal form and fee. The CPD Organizational form must be completed in its entirety.
(c) Supporting documentation to verify the PDH units recorded on the CPD Organizational form must be submitted to the Board office when requested to participate in an audit. Supporting documentation may include, but are not limited to:
(A) Completion certificate(s);
(B) Paid receipt(s);
(C) Attendance log;
(D) Other documents supporting evidence of attendance.
(d) The CPD Organizational form and supporting documentation must be submitted to the Board in English or translated to English.
(e) Records must be retained for five (5) years.
(2) PDH units must be obtained in qualifying activities related to the individual’s certification. A qualifying activity is any course or activity with a clear purpose and objective which improves, or expands the skills and knowledge relevant to the professional activities of a certified water right examiner as defined in ORS Chapter 537 and OAR chapter 690.
(3) Non-qualifying activities may include, but are not limited to:
(a) Regular employment;
(b) Personal self improvement;
(c) Equipment demonstrations or trade show displays;
(d) Enrollment without attendance at courses, seminars, etc.
(e) Repetitive attendance at the same course;
(f) Repetitive teaching of the same course;
(g) Attending committee meetings or general business meetings of any organization;
(h) Taking professional or required examinations.
(4) Units — The conversion of other units of credit to PDH units is as follows:
(a) 1 College Semester hour equals 45 PDH;
(b) 1 College Quarter hour equals 30 PDH;
(c) 1 Continuing Education unit equals 10 PDH.
(5) Sources of PDH units — One (1) PDH unit may be obtained for each contact hour of instruction or presentation. Unless otherwise noted, there is no maximum amount of PDH units a CWRE may earn per biennial renewal period. Sources of PDH units include, but are not limited to the following:
(a) Successful completion of college courses;
(b) Successful completion of short courses, tutorials, correspondence, web based courses, televised and videotaped courses;
(c) Active participation in seminars, in-house courses, workshops, and professional conventions;
(d) Teaching or instructing a course, seminar, or workshop one time only. (This does not apply to full-time faculty teaching college courses);
(e) Authoring or co-authoring published papers, articles or books. Maximum of 3 PDH units per biennial renewal period;
(f) Active participation in professional or technical society, committee, or board. Maximum of 2 PDH units per biennial renewal period;
(g) Self study. Maximum of 2 PDH units per biennial renewal period;
(h) Non-technical educational activities related to employment.
(6) Determination of Credit — Credit determination for activities is the responsibility of the CWRE and is subject to review by the Board. The Board has final authority with respect to approval of courses, credit, PDH units for courses and other methods of earning credit.
(7) If a CWRE exceeds the requirement in any renewal period, a maximum of 5 PDH units in courses/activities may be carried forward into the next renewal period.
(8) Delinquent, retired or inactive certificate holders must provide evidence of holding active registration as a professional engineer, professional land surveyor, registered geologist, in addition to completing the PDH requirements as outlined in OAR 820-010-0520 in order to attain active status.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 670.310 & 672.255
Stats. Implemented: ORS 672.002 - 672.375
Hist.: BEELS 2-2013(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 3-18-13 thru 7-15-13; BEELS 3-2013, f. & cert. ef. 6-17-13; BEELS 9-2013(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 11-14-13 thru 5-9-14; Administrative correction, 5-21-14
Continuing Professional Development Requirements: Failure to Comply
(a) Certified Water Right Examiners are required to obtain 10 professional development hour (PDH) units in subjects related to the practice of water right examination. As used in this rule, “Water Right Examination” includes: courses or study related to water right applications and claims of beneficial use, Water Resources Department programs, water law, or other subjects related to the work of a Water Right Examiner.
(b) For persons who hold registration as an engineer, land surveyor, or both, the number of PDH units required shall remain 30 PDH units per renewal period and may include the 10 PDH units required in OAR 820-050-0010(1)(a).
(c) Any Certified Water Right Examiner who fails to satisfy the Continuing Professional Development requirements in subsection (1)(a) shall be subject to suspension or refusal to renew the certificate. Failure to satisfy the Continuing Professional Development requirements shall not be the sole basis for revocation of certificate.
(2) Before suspending or refusing to renew the certificate of a Water Right Examiner, the Board shall allow a grace period of up to one year for a certificate holder who qualifies for the grace period to satisfy these Continuing Professional Development requirements. When a grace period is allowed under subsection (3), the certificate holder must complete all deficient Continuing Professional Development requirements and satisfy all current Continuing Professional Development requirements within the grace period. If the certificate holder fails to obtain all required deficient and current PDH units within the grace period, the Board shall suspend the registrant’s certificate.
(3) To qualify for the grace period in subsection (2), a certificate holder must:
(a) Respond to Board notifications;
(b) Complete a Continuing Education Request for a Grace Period Form;
(c) Not otherwise be subject to Board investigation, audit, or discipline; and
(d) Have failed to satisfy the Continuing Professional Development requirements by 5 or fewer PDH units related to the practice of water right examination.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 670.310 & 672.255
Stats. Implemented: ORS 672.002 - 672.325
Hist.: BEELS 1-2013, f. & cert. ef. 3-13-13; BEELS 1-2015, f. & cert. ef. 2-3-15
State Archives • 800 Summer St. NE • Salem, OR 97310