RESTRICTION ON RETAIL SALES
Over-the-Counter Drug Restrictions
(1) The following items shall be sold only by or under the direct supervision of a licensed pharmacist in registered pharmacies. They need not bear the store name and address, if in original container, need not be registered, but must be properly labeled. They shall not be available by self-service, but stored in or immediately adjacent to the prescription department. Items bearing prescription legend are excepted and may be sold only on prescription:
(a) Ammoniated Mercury ointment, five percent;
(b) Sulfa drugs -- Alone or in combination;
(c) Blue Ointment.
(2) The following items shall be sold only by a licensed pharmacist(s) in registered pharmacies, must bear the store name and address, must be properly labeled with adequate warning, must be registered in Official Poison Register, and the purchaser must provide acceptable identification, providing the preparations do not bear prescription legend, in which case they may be sold only on prescription:
(a) Arsenic and its preparations;
(b) Corrosive sublimate;
(c) Cyanides and preparations, including hydrocyanic acid;
(d) Hydrochloric acid and any preparation containing free or chemically unneutralized hydrochloric acid (HC1) in a concentration of ten percent or more;
(e) Nitric acid or any preparation containing free or chemically unneutralized nitric acid (HNO3) in a concentration of five percent or more;
(f) Sulphuric acid and any preparation containing free or chemically unneutralized sulphuric acid (H2S04) in a concentration of ten percent or more;
(g) Solution of ammonia, U.S.P. 28 percent;
(h) Carbolic acid.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 689
Hist.: 1PB 18, f. & ef. 10-14-64; 1PB 2-1979(Temp), f. & ef 10-3-79; 1PB 2-1980, f. & ef. 4-3-80; PB 4-1988, f. & cert. ef. 7-5-88; BP 6-2004(Temp), f. 10-15-04 cert. ef. 11-1-04 thru 5-13-05; Administrative correction 5-20-05
Organic Silver Salts
(1) May be sold only by licensed pharmacists in registered pharmacies.
(2) Solutions must be freshly prepared, unless stabilized.
(3) Must be adequately labeled, to include name and address of store, date of preparation, and percentage content.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 689
Hist.: 1PB 18, f. & ef. 10-14-64; 1PB 2-1979(Temp), f. & ef. 10-3-79; 1PB 2-1980, f. & ef. 4-3-80
(1) The following are prescription drugs:
(a) Drugs required by federal law to be labeled with either of the following statements:
(A) "Caution: Federal law prohibits dispensing without prescription"
(B) "Caution: Federal law restricts this drug to be used by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian"; or
(C) "Rx only"
(b) Drugs designated as prescription drugs by the Oregon Board of Pharmacy
(2) The Oregon Board of Pharmacy designates the following drugs as prescription drugs:
(a) Preparations containing codeine or salts of codeine
(b) Preparations containing opium/paregoric
(3) No person shall sell, give away, barter, transfer, purchase, receive or possess prescription drugs except upon the prescription of a practitioner.
(4) The following are exempt from the prohibition of section (3) of this rule:
(c) Institutional and retail drug outlets;
(5) Individuals who purchase, receive, or possess a prescription drug for the purpose of administration or delivery to a patient are exempt from the prohibition against purchasing, receiving, or possessing prescription drugs contained in section (3) of this rule and ORS 689.765(6).
Stat. Auth.: ORS 689.205
Stats. Implemented: ORS 689.155, 689.765
Hist.: PB 3-1990, f. & cert. ef. 4-5-90; PB 9-1990, f. & cert. ef. 12-5-90; PB 4-1991, f. & cert. ef. 9-19-91; BP 1-2002, f. & cert. ef. 1-8-02; BP 7-2004, f. & cert. ef. 11-8-04; BP 4-2006, f. 6-9-06, cert. ef. 7-1-06; BP 14-2006(Temp), f. 12-29-06, cert. ef. 1-1-07 thru 6-29-07; BP 1-2007, f. & cert. ef. 6-29-07
Oregon Secretary of State • 136 State Capitol • Salem, OR 97310-0722
Phone: (503) 986-1523 • Fax: (503) 986-1616 • email@example.com
© 2013 State of Oregon All Rights Reserved