Occupation: Oregon State Senator
Occupational Background: Vice President, Legislative Affairs, Oregon Pilots Association; Owner/President, Transwestern Helicopters, Inc.
Educational Background: Public Elementary School, Redmond, Oregon; St. Helens Hall, Portland, Oregon; Carleton College, Northfield, Minnesota (BA, History); Northwestern School of Law, Portland, Oregon (JD)
Prior Governmental Experience: Member, Oregon House of Representatives (2001-04); Member, Oregon Senate (2005 - Present); Manager, Aeronautics Division, ODOT
BETSY JOHNSON for STATE SENATE
As your State Senator I have only made one promise: to be accessible to you and to be an effective voice for the people and communities of Clatsop, Columbia, Tillamook, Washington counties and Sauvie Island.
I have worked hard to keep that promise. Working across party lines, with citizens and local leaders, I have helped deliver needed resources and projects to communities throughout the district. These include:
- Transportation improvements that make our roads safer, reduce traffic and help businesses get their goods to market.
- Helping relocate the NOAA fleet to the Oregon Coast, which will mean thousands of jobs for our communities.
- Solving problems for constituents in every corner of the district.
I have also been willing to make tough decisions in tough times, finding $2 billion in cuts during the last legislative session. As Oregon families must tighten their belts, so must state government.
MY PRIORITIES FOR OREGON
I believe the primary role of state government is:
- Provide our children an opportunity to learn;
- Protect our society from those who threaten it;
- Ensure that our senior citizens live in comfort and with dignity.
Through difficult budgets, I have put these priorities first
Finally, I am focused on Oregon's greatest challenge: creating private-sector, family wage jobs. As a small businesswoman, I understand where government can help and where it can hurt. I will work to make sure state government understands the difference.
Serving as your State Senator has been a privilege. I would be honored to continue being your voice in Salem.
(This information furnished by Committee to Elect Betsy Johnson.)